Blown seals on windows

Being from the mid-west, specifically the Chicago area , I had done a pre-listing inspection on a home that is roughly 10 years old . The windows, which are thermal pane type. , The problem is that over 80% had blown seals. I did view a few other houses in the area and their windows seemed O.K. My Question is “what are some of the possible causes for there to be so many blown seals in one house”

Defective materials? Made in Mexico? Who knows.

Some typical reasons; pressure washing, using bleach or other harse chemicals to wash the house/windows and it destroys the seals if care is not used, age as over time the continuous expansion and contraction of the frames loosen the seal, environmentals and finally if you just look at them wrong the seals can fail. The better the quality the less the chances of failure but any window can fail eventually. I make sure I mark those windows and note them on the report, regardless if they will be repaired or replaced. I do not want someone coming back to me trying to get me to buy them new windows. There should be some replacement window companies in your area. Take the time to talk to them as they can enlighten you greatly on some other window problems. Hope this helps.

Speaking of blown seals, try this: http://www.divshare.com/download/136904-a56

Many times harsh transportation to the job site and or off loading can result it seal failure.

could over use of the heating and cooling system affect the seals? in otherwords, on hot days the a/c cranked up real low , and on real cold days the heat set real high.

Good catch also to all when looking at windows ( easy to miss ) look at all 4 corners to see if there is a 1/8 inch hole . There could be two one top and one bottom. This is a window that has lost it seal and some one has drilled to let the moisture out.
I did a home that was 3/4 of a mile away from a propain explosion .
During the next week they has 22 windows end up with moisture in them .
The rail way replace all the windows in the home .
This was in the country did not hear if any one else had windows replaced .
So as written above a truck accident or rough handling could be the cause .
… Cookie

Alot of the manufacturing companys dont care about the seals , like they should .Not all products go thru a quality ck point mabe 1 out 100 just to see proper completion. then when it get to a job sight the new owners might catch it thru a walk-thru inspection maybe not but then it’s too late , if it’s not caught right, then the new home owners are stuck buyin a new one, because of poor quality control from mfgt company. i drove a rig for many ears ive seen damaged good, on job site. as the off loader would say OH WELL it aint my home…

While we’re on this topic has anyone had experience with any of the so-called window defogger companies?

Blown or failing seals are one thing

Desiccants absorption ability is another http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Member_services/use.html

Wind/weather is another
http://ienga.net/newsletters/vol8no1-ig_failure.pdf

I’d be careful about trying to diagnose the cause of fogged or apparently failing IGU

Just did one that is going to cost $28,000 give or take for replacements

Photo courtesy of Rob Martinez

Bottom line - who cares why. Its broke - fix it or don’t.

Mr. Buyer, You have several / many windows with failed thermal panes that need repair or replacement in your new home. Now lets move over here and look at the …

Just a thought.

Living in a cold climate and having condensation water run/gather at the sash bottom will increase the frequency of seal failure. Could be due to frost/freezing or wood expansion due to wetting putting stress on the glass edges.

Must be a different brand of window. Or could be just a bad batch of sealed panes.

Originally Posted by rcooke
Good catch also to all when looking at windows ( easy to miss ) look at all 4 corners to see if there is a 1/8 inch hole . There could be two one top and one bottom. This is a window that has lost it seal and some one has drilled to let the moisture out.
The 1/8 inch holes in the sealed glass spacer/seal ( Wrong these holes are in the Glass) ( very comon in our area) is for the installation of the heavy insulating Argon gas. The bottom hole is for injection of the gas while one of the top holes lets the regular air out. The other upper hole is for an argon sensor so that the plant worker will know when the unit is full of Argon.

*I did a home that was 3/4 of a mile away from a propain explosion . *
*During the next week they has 22 windows end up with moisture in them . *
*The rail way replace all the windows in the home . *
*Sounds like someone pulled the wool over the railway’s eyes and got a new set of windows!!! *
*No I do not think so this was a very serious and they had to evacuate the area and two east west rail lines where down for a few days. Many tanks of propain exploded *
*This was in the country did not hear if any one else had windows replaced . *
So as written above a truck accident or rough handling could be the cause .
… Cookie
http://www.ccwwi.com/Technology.html#cure
I have done at leasr 6 homes that have holes drilled in the Glass it self .
http://www.perfectlyclearwindows.ca/

I guess it not comon down East.
No gas added just the holes left in the Glass.
… Cookie

Were there not little plastic plugs (actually one way air valves) in the holes? These are an integral part of the Crystal Clear and other defogging systems.

Thats what they call them they are not much more then scotch tape with a small hole and they do not stay to well.
… Cookie

They have the same talk about this at TIJ right now.
I guess there is a company charging 50 bukaroos a pop clearing them out.
They use a dessicant

One possible cause is that they were jammed into a tight frame. Many times the framers don’t leave enough space on the top, bottom, and sides to allow for framing expanison. The frames squeeze the window and the seal is lost. The manufacturer won’t honor the warranty because they were not installed properly. The directions are pasted on every window in English and Spanish but they still get ignored. I’ve seen it several times when doing pre-drywall inspections.

Barry,
I did one house in Oct two years ago. I showed the buyer the holes in the corners where they companies had “repaired” the window. By Feb all the “repaired” windows were fogged.
I am currently monitoring some windows done on a real Estate office that were done a year ago. To date they have not fogged, but I heard from one realtor in the office they were having a problem with them, but he was not sure what exactly was wrong. He said they were being replaced.

As Roy said the little plugs are not a great item and here in Ontario where the weather is all over the place in one day, they are not a great way to save money.

And as Ronald said, many times the instalation is wrong. When I apprenticed as a bricklayer, many time we would be told to fill the gap betweeen the brick and the wall tight with mortar. And there in your face, is the tag that read to leave a 3/8 gap.

Can I get some of your comments concerning lost seal/fogged windows?

Thanks

Somewhere…nearby…there may live an openly gay walrus…:smiley: