Cantilevered Deck

This happen to be next door to a house inspection this AM.

Only thing you can be sure of is that it will eventually fail. It may however have been built to code at the time. I myself built a pair of decks off a second story commercial building that were cantilevered out 7 feet. they were built to code in that the joists were more than 2/3 inside the building and were nailed to sister joists for the full inside length. This was the only way to get balcony’s on floor above as building foot print was 4 ft from lot line and second floor overhang did not affect zoning setback bylaws. They are still there and that was in 1984.

I only concern myself about the homes that I Inspect.
Owners of adjoining properties are left to their own responsibility to periodically inspect and maintain their homes…

I just took a picture.

And thanks for posting Buck.

Although it may have been properly built and “allowed” at the time, it is still “fun” to see such marvels of man.

I never get tired of seeing that stuff.

Same here…appreciate the post Buck.

that’s a beauty all right …nice picture Buck

I understand from your photos that this is likely a poorly built deck; however it is possible that it is not and I would not universally dismiss the possibility. If I were inspecting that home I would recommend further evaluation by a structural engineer.
Many moons ago in the land of the 1970s when I was still building I was asked to construct an exterior second floor deck that projected out 12 feet and had no visible support. After the architect and the engineer wars were over we worked out a solution.
The deck/balcony was on the front of the home and started at the left gable end and extended along the front for 16 feet. Inside the home to access the deck was a den and French doors. Inside the home structure on the gable end the deck band joist ran in along the gable framing as part of the second floor platform through to the rear of the home 24 feet and then tied to the wall structure with plates down to the first level floor structure load path. There was also a welded steel member that connected the steel sandwich to the first level floor structure. The band joist was doubled with the steel sandwich in-between and bolted along the length. On the other end of the deck or the other band joist the homes interior was open with no walls so the engineer designed a welded steel member that was part of the band but made a 90 degree turn and was hidden in the 2x6 front wall and then ran under the home into the crawlspace and the first floor structure. All of the steel was welded on site and the same double band with bolts was used on this end. These bands became the girders that the deck was hung to. This home is still there and has a great view of Cape May and the Delaware Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.
This was long ago and before digital cameras so no photos exist of the process
Just sayin!