Cast stone caps

I observed cast concrete caps on the deck support columns. All of the caps had spider cracks. This home was 15 years old. Anyone seen this before?

Weird…maybe it was suppose to have a fake “distressed” look?

-Carl

I think they are cool looking.

yes! crazing often occurs
to the extent seen in the photos repair is in their near future
after a few more freeze/thaw cycles replacement

a mason i know here cleans and fills all voids with a contrasting tinted non-shrink grout
once finished the dual purpose veining affect seals cracks and gives the cast stone an attractive marbled appearance

as far as the link recommendation of siloxane sealer
i’d avoid at all cost
seen numerous jobs post sealing that looked worse than the original deficiency within a year or two…just my opinion based on personal experience
another TX inspector that doesn’t post here has seen the congealing and gumming that also affected surrounding unsealed materials first hand as well…ymmv

yes! crazing often occurs
to the extent seen in the photos repair is required now!
after a few more freeze/thaw cycles replacement

a mason i know here cleans and fills all voids with a contrasting tinted non-shrink grout
once finished the dual purpose veining affect seals cracks and gives the cast stone an attractive marbled appearance

as far as the link recommendation of siloxane sealer
i’d avoid at all cost
seen numerous jobs post sealing that looked worse than the original deficiency within a year or two…just my opinion based on personal experience
another TX inspector that doesn’t post here has seen the congealing and gumming that also affected surrounding unsealed materials first hand as well…ymmv

My WAG, heat on top and cooling on bottom from sun exposure on top while bottom thermal mass retains cold temp. If moisture gets in those cracks it will soon be gravel.

prolly should have been sealed…just guessing…

the word for today is

crazing

OLD Jim may be on to something…

I like they way you think especially the old part or is it old Fart;-)