Deck cover support

Yesterdays inspection. Deck cover attached to the roof on one side and two 4x4" wood posts on the other.
I recommended that they have it evaluated by a structural engineer or qualified carpenter to make sure that it is designed and built to handle the snow and wind loads.

What are your thoughts?

DSC04604.JPG

DSC04597.JPG

DSC04592.JPG

DSC04599.JPG

I don’t like it. (You certainly can’t put a deck up that high on 4x4s.) Also check to see if it was permitted. Was there a footing?

I suggest you report as being too damn ugly - Ha. I’ll bet you’ll find that the posts will have footer pads under them, but they should be extended above grade. Another add-on would be knee bracing in the front to prevent racking caused by wind loading. I also noticed that there is no soffit venting.

I didn’t check for a permit. It was built two owners ago.
There was a concrete footer w/metal bracket for the 4x4. I had to move the rock to see the concrete.

The inside of the house was recently remodeled and when I asked about permits the buyers realtor found out that there were none pulled. I did note this on my report.

On the surface this house looks good. However, other findings included: No combustion air in the utility room, a roof truss cut completely through to allow the installation of two recess cans, missing junction boxes/plates and other items…

I built a roof similar to this one over my father in-law…however I used 6x6 PT embedded in 12" diameter x 36" deep concrete, braced and bolted same and installed
hurricane ties on all rafters.

No bracing, unable to determine depth and diameter of footer.

regards

jeff

It appears that they are cut on site rafters . Hope there is a good strong ridge beam to take snow , as it appears there aren’'t any collar tyes . And yes the soffit and roof ridge should be vented . Being enclosed like that wil get a lot of heat build up causing early roof failure .:):smiley:

Yes I agree , everyone here is making good points.
There should be 6/6 posts and soffit venting along with a footer for those posts.
Did you see any stress in the posts.
It would show as vertical cracking and separating and bowing. The longer the cracks and the wider they are, the more stress the posts are under.
It appears to be tied into the roof structure and that will give it some stability but beefier posts and footer are the norm.