Deck Issues Again

Decks are often a source of concern during inspections.

Things can look fine if you don’t understand the issues.

I see this type of defect all too often even on high end homes.

I can’t remember the last time I inspected a deck that didn’t have something wrong, if ever, no matter what type/age of home.

Me too but this one bugged me.

Second one like this in a month.

The house was very well done otherwise.

Here is a graphic showing the stress issue on the joist and possible upward deflection or hump in the floor.

Thanks Randy.

Nice graphic.

Check out this one. I was amazed. When I took the picture the Realtor ran right over to me and said “whats the matter, whats wrong!!!”

I said nothing, it’s just been so long since I’ve seen a deck that’s built correctly I wanted to take a picture of it. We all laughed, pretty funny.

Loch 009 (Small).JPG

They do panic at times. :wink:

In my area the posts have to be on 9" concrete piers, (4’ depth) 6" above grade. Can’t put them in the ground anymore, even pressure treated !

That’s where they should. :slight_smile: Treated or not earth to wood contact will still cause premature deterioration.

Agreed. That’s why I posted what I did, because the posts are going underground in Peter Russell’s deck photo.

First thing I noticed also. Even if they’re on a concrete pad, still surrounded by rock, which will cause water intrusion and/or trap moister.

I have a related deck question. With the use of manufactured trusses and wood I beams, is there a simple way to confirm if the deck is attached to just the OSB sheathing or if it’s attached to a thicker OSB laminate rim board?

Typically I just measure the exposed top of the foundation and assuming the foundation is 8" I can tell if there is an actual OSB rim joist or just 3/4" OSB sheathing. Is there a more certain method of determining this?

Both Chris’s;
If you see the crap deck builds like I do you don’t worry about the tubes being at grade surrounded by stone, no worries there.

Cameron, if the home is built with engineered floor joists there should be a lam beam for a rim joist if not then there’s more issue’s then just the deck attachment. I try to confirm in the basement but if it’s finished you can’t always tell.

I ran into this today, thanks to your post (Mike) I have the heads up. Any good verbiage for these connections? Nice illustration Randy!!

240313 036 (Small).JPG

240313 039 (Small).JPG

240313 029 (Small).JPG

240313 035 (Small).JPG

240313 024 (Small).JPG

Thanks Russell, I’m doing one right now that has an OSB Rim Board Plus and is marked with 1 1/8". Anyone familiar with that product and is that measurement thick enough to support a deck?

I’ve read through the AWC deck information serval times and looked at other sources and have yet been unable to find any specific requirement for the thickness of a rim joist as it pertains to deck attachments.

I also included a link to PRESCRIPTIVE RESIDENTIAL WOOD DECK CONSTRUCTION GUIDE

Here’s an alternative way to post and beam, which I’m starting to see more often with new construction.

This method may be more difficult than post/beam at correcting existing decks.

Chris, that is only good for spans less than 6 ft. like bay windows and such. Mine was about 16’

True