Fascia Board Installation

This is a new vinyl siding job. Concern about the install of the aluminum fascia. The fascia extends down from the gutter appr 3 inches. Great. But instead of being flushed with the vinyl siding it extends about 1 inch over the vinyl. My concern is that this does not allow water, snow & ice to be directed down; but to pile up on this little lip. Is this a concern for New England weather. Any help would be appreciate. I tried uploading a pic, but was unable.
Thanks Barb

As a non-member, with a post this difficult to understand and with no photos, don’t be surprised if you don’t get many replies, Barb.

Thanks, I understand.

Barb this is a message board for home inspectors.
Go find a builders message board is the best advice I can give you.:mrgreen:

most vertical siding materials are installed in shingle fashion (higher pieces overlap lower pieces) to shed water.
when this method is interrupted on any planar elevation, flashings are installed to divert the majority of residual or accumulating moisture out and away from behind the siding, even when weather resistive barriers (WRB) are installed

if you have an unflashed protruding lip present, moisture can and most likely will accumulate and get in behind the siding. what happens after that is usually uderlying latent damage, unless the WRB is 100% pristine below this area, seldom achieved during normal building practices.

this link is vinyl install instructions, your concerns may or may not be addressed
http://www.vinylsiding.org/installation/manual/

if you want to send me your pix for posting i’m at adairinspex@hotmail.com

most vertical siding materials are installed in shingle fashion (higher pieces overlap lower pieces) to shed water.
when this method is interrupted on any planar elevation, flashings are installed to divert the majority of residual or accumulating moisture out and away from behind the siding, even when weather resistive barriers (WRB) are installed

if you have an unflashed protruding lip present, moisture can and most likely will accumulate and get in behind the siding. what happens after that is usually uderlying latent damage, unless the WRB is 100% pristine below this area, seldom achieved during normal building practices.

this link is vinyl install instructions, your concerns may or may not be addressed
http://www.vinylsiding.org/installation/manual/

if you want to send me your pix for posting i’m at adairinspex@hotmail.com

hopefully in time some posters will learn self moderation when they don’t have a helpful answer and are dealing with the public :wink:

1 Like

Mr.Adair.
I have followed her posts. I do not believe in helping nonme.ers and will pratice this more often.
as should more Inachi members in my opinion.

POST#1
BARB JOHNSON
I am paying for a new siding job. Contractor started 3 sides of house, never completing a side to the top, prior to a heavy rain storm. Contractors left when the rain came, but left the material exposed. Boxes of Aluminum clad for windows left outside, 1x3 for cladding, & vinyl in boxes, Dow TUFF-R insulation left outside.
I am concerned for 2 things.

1. Wind blown rain, seeping down the vinyl siding & the insulation board. Will this cause a moisture problem & affect Certaintee warranty.
  2. I do not feel wet materials should be installed.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

post # 19
BARB JOHNSON

Wow, thanks for your help. Guess I will not know till down the road what kind of job I got.
**The 7 inch cedar shakes ( no shingles ) **were in good condition & painted. The contractor was to pull a permit, that has not been done to date. I keep asking (gently). I know I do not like the fascia board construction. Guess I just want to get everything done & get on with my life. Unfortunately, Will not be around this summer to handle all issues.
I may have the contractor write a warranty to extend to handle water problems if they arise. But in this economy warranties do not mean that much.
Thanks for your interest.

So Mr.Adair as we walk into a thread and judge for value we must read everything.
I too have made this mistake only to come back and apologize for my knee-jerk reactions.
But hay that’s me. I know me short comings and learn.
I still say the we have no business as home inspectors watching what goes on as nonmembers come in here looking for FREE ADVICE.
They have to hire good solid company’s or a seasoned Home Inspector as Brian MacNiech and myself have pointed out when having work done to there home. That’s it.
We are there to observe after all is said and done or GET PAID TO INTERVENE THE WORK IN PROGRESS WITH PHASE INSPECTIONS OR JOB OVERSIGHT.
I should not have commented on her posts.
Paid is the optimum word here.
Changing 4 quarters for a dollar is not my attitude anymore.:slight_smile:

Barb, I see you are in New England, if you need help please feel free to contact me.
Pete

I think she is talking about how the metal is wrapped too far below the vinyl soffit…at least that is what I picture.

Returning the fascia wrap up tight to the vinyl soffit helps support the soffit and somewhat aids in preventing insects building nest in same although not greatly. From a moisture intrusion standpoint its not an issue.

If I am write in my analysis, it can be easily corrected.

jeff

Robert,

While I appreciate your point of view, you may consider the value in developing relationships with those whom at times seek free advice.

As a knowledgeable contractor I have people call me frequently for advice of which I often dispense for free. In one particular case I had one guy call me several times…eventually he has had me do work for him which to this day has added up to over $30,000.00. Currently he is waiting for his house to sell of which he and his wife have already chosen me to build their future home on a beautiful lake front lot that they have held for their final home…average home price in that development is over 1,000,000.00.

Matter of fact I am meeting this Saturday with a couple whom after giving them free advice in regards to a fixer upper they were looking at (did not do an inspection for them) , they have opted to build a custom home versus dealing with issues that often are associated with fixer uppers. (I am sure the agent they had been dealing with for 6 months is not happy however she should have been more wise in seeing what their needs and capabilities were instead of showing them POS)

So you can see in dispensing free advice which in turn has developed a trusting relationships, it can be well worth it.

Let me also say there are those who bring no value to the table in regards to business or personal relationship…those I too discard.

Ultimately each much choose how to handle such issue and/or learn how to better assess those whom they are talking with…if all one is looking are $$$ then they are no better than your average used car lot lizard.

regards

Jeff

Thank you My. Hayes.
I to have a repair company, I have developed a relationship with a client base but I have seen the other side of the coin also.
I give more free advice and jump at the opportunity to help anyone willing to listen.
The last 4 words of that sentence are crucial.
I told Brab to get an inspector that is seasoned enough to help.
DID SHE?
It is recognizing the ones that are sincere.
I applaud your convictions but also stress the point that we are home inspector and the MB was to transfer opinion, questions, answers, definition, etc between members paying or not.
When we come to the MB as contractors for non-members we must separate our opinion. Those are my feeling Jeff.
Fore those non-member Jeff we can translate our knowledge but it must be seen through the lens of a home inspector.
Just opinion.
To me it is hard but it is an objective of mine.
As Inspectors we do many forms or types or models of inspections.
Mostly we observe the building process after the process has be completed, unless you have the ability to PHASE or JOB-OVERSIGHT inspect.
Just to be clear I have never seen job-oversight inspections mentioned until I started placing it on my site.I have seen the term used several times now.
I would like a link to see if this type of inspection was used before.
I would like to give credit where credit is due, even if it is to myself.
I thank you Mr. Hynes. I have always appreciated anything you had to say and I always look forward to your posts. You are kind, considerate, knowledgeable, helpful, and never demean on the board.
It is a pleasure to read your remarks.
Thank you.

Ultimately each much choose how to handle such issue and/or learn how to better assess those whom they are talking with…if all one is looking are $$$ then they are no better than your average used car lot lizard.

Just to comment on the last statement at 7/10/11 6:58 PM Jeffy.
I should not have commented on her posts.
Paid is the optimum word here.
Changing 4 quarters for a dollar is not my attitude anymore.
I always will give free advice.
It is the ones that do not listen that will be getting charged.