Landing at stairs

Should there be a landing at the top of the exterior basement stair, instead of a step up or step down. Local AHJ says NO problem.

NO PROBLEM?

A step over barrier in front of an open stair.

Good grief.

I’d write it as a trip hazard no matter what the AHJ said.

Absolutely…good call MIke.

Yup, I’d have that tripping hazard red-flagged too.

I must agree. Definite trip hazard. Fall down the stairway and land on the concrete pad. :shock:

Tripping hazard, more than 4" opening in stairs, no graspable handrail…

Thanks! Wrote all of that and then some, stairs are not bolted to wall either…

Thanks, again for all your help.

I’m surprised, and I shouldn’t be. That is so obviously a serious trip hazard; I don’t know how anyone, even slightly concerned with safety, would so NO PROBLEM!

I know, I know, not a code inspection but just for interest in my area:

**[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]9.8.6.2. Required Landings
(1) [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Except as provided in Sentences (2) to (4) and Sentence 9.9.6.6.(2), a landing shall be provided,
(a) at the top and bottom of each flight of interior and exterior stairs, including stairs in garages,
(b) at the top and bottom of every ramp with a slope greater than 1 in 50, and
© where a doorway opens onto a stair or ramp.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]size=2 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Where a door at the top of a stair in a [/size][/FONT]*[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]dwelling unit *[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]swings away from the stair, no landing is required between the
doorway and the stair.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]size=2 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Except for an entrance from an attached garage, a landing may be omitted at the top of an exterior stair serving a
secondary entrance to a single [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]dwelling unit[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2], provided,
(a) the stair does not contain more than 3 risers,
(b) except as provided in Clause ©, the door is a sliding door or swings away from the stair, and
© where a storm or screen door is provided, it may swing over the stair if it is equipped with hardware to hold it open.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]size=2 **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]A landing may be omitted at the bottom of an exterior stair or ramp provided there is no obstruction, such as a gate or
door, within the lesser of the width of the stair or ramp or,
(a) 900 mm for stairs or ramps serving a single [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]dwelling unit[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2], and
(b) 1100 mm for stairs or ramps not serving a single [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]dwelling unit[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2].
[/size][/FONT]

Is this a new construction? If not, since Kansas has no state building codes and the locals are usually inspecting new construction only, “no problem” may have actually meant “has nothing to do with me”. It’s almost impossible to believe that anyone would “okay” such an obvious defect.

It’s interesting when a perfectly standard method for constructing outside stairs is met with such outrage. I fail to see any “tripping hazard”…one simply steps up to go down, and then coming the other way, it’s the same thing, step up on the top and step down. The purpose of this method is to keep ground water from entering the stairwell. What is the sense of raising the tops of the other walls above grade, if water can just flow down the stairs? I have done dozens of such stairs over the years, and have heard no reports of any problems. It violates no code, and there’s nothing wrong with it. Sometimes we reach a little too far.

Jim, the house was in built 2007, in KC metro area.

I agree it’s designed to prevent water. But IMO the top step should be a landing, 30" x 30", or so, not a step someone could easily trip over.

What about children? When in doubt, write it up. Builder got away with something he should not have. He should be licensed under the new home inspection bill. Shoddy builder, not a shoddy inspection. Trip hazard, lack of graspbable hand rail, no risers, no side railings, all should be written up. And more if seen.

Stairs are over rated:D

I’ve heard of open risers, but this is the first time I’ve seen open treads. Write it up.

Not to mention the prohibited attachment of the ledger board to the brick veneer, as it appears, and post to beam attachment.