Leaning Deck Posts

This deck has numerous leaning deck support posts, some 20 feet high; apparently they didn’t want to excavate any more rock. Aside from pointing out the obvious, e.g., leaning posts, how would you call this out?

Kalal House Pictures 045.jpg

I usually recommend not allowing anyone on a deck until proper repairs are made when the issues are serious like this one.

Also make it clear that major, expensive changes will likely be incurred.

obvious poor framing techniques…recommend repair before use…

I’ d dangle the carpenter that framed that upside down from the railing and see if it collapses:mrgreen: . Then I’d fix the deck.
Up here, everywhere you go is rock. I’ve built quite a few decks and it’s not too hard to build them the right way.

We don’t deal with rock like that around here.

What is the appropriate way to connect to the rock at about a 60 degree angle like that…or how should it be done?

Those appear to be 4" x 4" posts and quite long at that. In our jurisdiction any deck post over 8’ must be 6"x6". The deck must also be framed to the same standard as any floor system in the house. Posts should be braced/tied back to something solid to prevent the post movement and the bottoms solidly attached to concrete bases.

Brian MacNeish said…
“Those appear to be 4” x 4" posts and quite long at that. In our jurisdiction any deck post over 8’ must be 6"x6". The deck must also be framed to the same standard as any floor system in the house. Posts should be braced/tied back to something solid to prevent the post movement and the bottoms solidly attached to concrete bases."

6X6 must also be used here too.
What I have done when encountering rock is, drill some holes as deep as I can, frame a deep footing on the rock and pour concrete into the holes and form. I then put a saddle in to hold the 6x6 or 4x4 or whatever I am using. I have found that most hills move ever so slightly downwards over time, so when it comes time to install the post’s, I angle them about 80 degrees with the bottoms towards the hill. In about 10 - 15 years, the post’s are level or 90 degrees. Since they are screwed to the saddle, they can then be moved back a bit as needed.
Hope this helps
Brian Jones

…and if the deck was level when it was built, it ain’t level any more, or, if it’s level after it moves, then it was a little hilly when it was new.

I like to build on something that won’t move myself.

This is a new one on me to compensate for movement unless it is designed for Siesmic Activities and planned to move, but rest in in same place after the movement.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

I always tell my customers that we are living on a round planet flying through space while spinning at a high rate of speed…some thing are going to move…it seems to give them that peace of mind they are looking for in a good contractor…:smiley:

I only bring that up when they see a crack in the floor and all worried about it. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Marcel :slight_smile:

Maybe I missed something, but is that a pier poured not in line with the rest. Couldn’t blow it up any bigger.

Yes, the piers are all over the place. The homeowner was trying to work around the existing bedrock, with little regard for proper construction techniques. It’s a real mess. Some of the leaning posts aren’t even nailed to the base hardware, others only have 1 nail. Ledger only has one 1/4" lag (no washer) every 2 1/2 feet. Scary, especially when considering the deck is >20’ above grade on a 45 degree downslope…

I advised repair by a qualified contractor and strongly cautioned clients to avoid the deck at all costs- for safety reasons- until repaired / replaced. Obviously the owner thought he was improving his property (for resale) with a new deck (it looks great from above!). He didn’t even use pressure treated wood for deck joists (he used 2x6 untreated douglas fir which will quickly decay in our moist NW climate). Sure, it’s a difficult site; but that’s no excuse for compromising safety. If anything, the difficulty of the site warrants extra diligent attention to proper construction practices.