Log Cabin.

1st of all let me say I know nothing about log cabins. I am looking to purchase this property and wanted some advise before. There are several areas that are “uneven” with the logs, is this normal. There appears to be no “sealant” between the logs. Is this correct? Any other comments will be welcomed.
Log Cabin 001 (Small).jpg

Log Cabin 002 (Small).jpg

Log Cabin 004 (Small).jpg

Log Cabin 005 (Small).jpg

Log Cabin 006 (Small).jpg

Charles, on the left of this page, in the blue, go down to Education and click on Educational Resources and the scroll to LOG HOME COURSE and take the course. It will help you immensley with your desired purchase of a log home.

You have wood rot there and the logs seem quite dry and unprotected by a finish. Water appears to be settling into the wood checks (and possibly the chink area joints) and rotting the wood. When log home aren’t maintained they can hide much rot.

If you have more pictures to view for a better perspective that would help.

PS: If you could remove the large pictures in your post it would reduce the need to scroll side to side and we can click on the smaller pics to enlarge them if we want. Thanks.

You say you don’t know anything about log cabins. How about getting an inspection by someone who does.

The on-line course is pretty interesting but I wouldn’t say that course will qualify you to make an educated decision on the property condition.

Good luck with the purchase.

Those logs have been milled flat on the top and bottom. The sealant is called “chinking” and lack of it is not a defect but if logs were not milled with an interlocking profile and/or gasket the home will suffer from excessive air movement through the walls.

That wall was built somewhat in the “Rustic” style and looks somewhat low-end. I don’t know what that wall is resting on but if it’s grade, lower wall logs have inadequate clearance.

Logs need to have a finish coating applied for long-term protection.

Can’t tell much from close-ups of a few sections of log wall. Log homes can be unpleasant experiences for uneducated buyers. Many have been built by people who didn’t know what they were doing.

Like Larry, I suggest you take the Log Home course. Since you’re already an inspector, completing the course will give you a pretty good idea what your dealing with.

InterNACHI’s log home inspection course is very comprehensive. No one, not even log home builders, should be inspecting log homes without first taking the course.

www.nachi.org/education.htm

Charles

My wife and I are looking at building a Log Home up in the Hwy.575/515 corridor of No.Ga Mtn’s. I’ve looked at literally hundreds of L/H’s over the past 12-15 years. I am by no means an expert, but there are problems out there unique to the industry. Your pictures show problems that are consistant with a lot of early construction I’ve seen. It would really be of benefit to step back and read a little more before making a move, at least on the home your pictures represent. I know I’m not seeing the whole of the property, but you took good desriptive pictures that would make me second guess.
Good Luck…

Your photos are of logs that are way overdue weather treatment. The dry rot as seen in one photo can be stopped with a treatment of Boric acid. Then I recommend a good coating of Perma Chink wood preservative, every third year. Log homes are nice to live in but require a lot of preventive maintenance. A log home has a certain ambiance about it, like no conventionally built home. If you’re not up for a continued regiment of log maintenance I would recommend selecting another building medium. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE ON LINE LOG HOME CLASS BEFORE YOU BUY A LOG HOME.