Masonry Steps

New installation of Masonry steps.

Hardie plank is the siding specified to be installed.

Any concern as to the flashing details here?

Simply amazing Joe…simply amazing…:twisted:

Looks like the installer was less qualified than a basic amateur…:shock:

Dale; that is an understatement for sure.

This one belongs in the travisty section, ha. ha.
Doen’t anyone know how to build anymore, nor know how to waterproof a building?

Must be another one of these Carpenters helpers that would not even make a good glorified laborer.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Happy Thanksgiving to the both of you.

The addition is at the high end of $500,000.

The installation is noted in architectural plans but not specified in detail as to design or installation method.

The architect is calling for the removal and replacement of the stairway and stone patio due to water intrusion and WDI concerns. Installer is asserting that the install meets the terms and conditions of the contract and is installed in accordance with the signed contract and proposal.

You can see where this is headed…

We see a lot of Contractors that work under this same pretense here in Maine, and luckyly, when they do, they usually do not work for the Clients again.

Thank God for a small State and this sh$t does not survive very long around here if you want to continue having work.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Architects have E&O insurance too, and this could well be an E. Either the architect or the contractor should pay for removal and replacement, but it definitely should be done and at no additional expense to the client.

Jim King

That might be true Jim, but we don’t know if the Contractor assummed the intent of the drawings, built it as was designed or just plain screwed it up.

If the design were to have been unclear as to details required to accomplish properly, the Contractor should have submitted an RFI (request for information), at that point, the Architect would have submitted an ASI (architectural supplemental instructions).

If the case is the the detail drawings were unclear and request for information was not requested by the Contractor, the Contractor has accepted most of the responsibility that if constructed wrong, he will have to remediate at his expense.

In today’s world of building, drawings have become more conceptual than detailed, so it is far more important today to have expert Contractor Builders.
And this is becoming more and more of a problem too.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Exactly Marcel…people needs to add some common sense to the building plans.

They need to make some drastic changes to all existing codes regarding Flashing, which for some reason is the most complicated item in a building to install correctly, if installed at all, it just never ceases to amaze me what someone could possibly be thinking…:shock:

Some of the things I (we,you,us) see make (me,you,us) go Hummmmm, what the hell were they thinking?..or was there ANY supervision on some of these projects to help the feeble mined souls make the decisions which were initiated and completed a$$ backwards…simply amazing…:twisted:

Unreal!!

They were not thinking!

You guys know no one gives a rats A$$ anymore!

No city inspectors in PA either HUH??

They can’t think because they never new any better from the getgo. All they are after is the money they make doing crappy work.

I have always said with the construction workers I hire, that if you want a laborer, he is one that is paid from the neck down.

If you get a laborer that can think, he might make a carpenters helper.
But, if you hire a carpenter that tells you he knows everything, he is most likely the one you fire and goes out as a General Contractor to perform sh#t like what was posted.
It is all money.

Marcel :slight_smile:

Marcel, Carl, Joe, James…

I don’t know about the situation where you live, but I can honestly say I do not know ONE carpenter…not even ONE…:twisted:

I do remember when there were Carpenters, Stone masons, Etc, some didn’t speak very good english, but it was because they were from Italy, Germany, and France, they taught many americans their skills also, how to put pride in everything you build, we can still see it now, look at all the old homes and buildings 50-100 years old in great condition if maintained properly.

They took so, so, much pride in their work.

Their all gone now, such a shame.

And here we are they once again do not speak english!

Even the ones that do just do not care!

True Carl, the Mexicans are told to get it done the fastest way possible by their boss who does not give a rats a$$…just the money is his concern.

Now I have a Mexican who does work for me on my houses occasionally, he has tiled the bathrooms, floors, walls, etc.

He knows exactly what he is doing, does not have anybody telling him to just get it done, one hell of a nice guy who will not do any substandard work.

And he charges accordingly, which is even less than what I think he is worth, but they are truly hard to find…almost impossible, if they came here and were trained by a contractor…forget it, their ruined.

Its not their fault as you say they do what they are taught it is the GREEDY BA$TARDS that have ruined the trades!

But alot of that would change if the codes people would do their jobs! imo

They need to revise the codes for Flashing, every aspect in my opinion and enforce those codes as tough as electrical codes, because if the flashing is not installed correctly or not installed at all your building is ruined in time, if there is an electrical issue someone could die because of it, if the building is ruined by water, it may as well burn down, as long as nobody is hurt.

Make the Flashing code as tough as the Electrical code and ENFORCE IT…!!

Send there idiot city inspectors to school for as long as it takes to get it through their think skulls they need to make sure the Flashing is installed CORRECTLY, and there is some common sense involved in this process also, I think it would be a start…:twisted:

You can lead them to water but you can’t make them drink!](,) ](,) ](,) ](,)

Very well said Dale! :idea:

This is exactly at the point of construction where we can make an enormous difference in our client’s life.

Better here than the alternative a few years down the road.

Educate and provide factual documentation to them and their “professionals”. Hope and pray they stand up to them and require they properly change this design before any further work takes place.

InterNACHI = “Saving the world one house at a time”

What is sooooooo pathetic is the builders even when building their own homes do not heed my advice and will call later down the road to request solutions to their intrusion problems.

We all know what the solution is but they’ll get out the caulkgun, tar, mastic and duct tape to make it last a few moments longer.