metal chimney near deck

Is this a concern having this chimney so close to this deck? How hot would this chimney get? It is from a wood stove in the basement. I’m worried about someone reaching out and touching it and getting burned.

Sorry, forgot the pix.

Sorry forgot the pix.

021-400.jpg

Assuming it was installed per the mfg instructions & meets clearance to combustible requirements then I wouldn’t be concerned. If I’m not concerned about a free-standing fireplace and flue inside the home then I wouldn’t be about your example either.

free_fp.jpg

Mr. Boyett is correct; the written instructions of the stove manufacturer and the flue manufacturer govern, and in essence become the building code for those items. Some clearances can be surprisingly small, especially if it’s a double or triple wall insulated flue. The instructions of both manufacturers can often be found online.

Thanks for the quick replies. I did not think it was a problem, but I wanted to be sure.

They are both right. That is a triple wall chimney and the clearances are minimal.

Clearances for factory built pipe can be a little at 2" depending the manuafcturer. Triple wall pipe is generally not approved for woodstoves. Factory built fireplaces will specify exactly what make and model of chimney should be used and many use triple wall pipe. Woodstoves do not specify specific brands or models of pipe, but they require a chimney that has been tested to the 2100 degree “HT” (High temperature) standards. Most triple wall is only tested to 1700 degrees.

Also, your photo appears to show a mix of galvanized pipe with stainless. If they are both from the same manufacturer and model…that may be OK. Just make sure the customer is not mixing pipe components from various companies.

Finally, while I am on the subject…a chimney built outside the house will often struggle to perform right. While not required, you are always better to have chimneys built inside the building envelope or at least built into an insulated chase if it is outside, escpeially in cold weather climates.