Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Exterior Inspections

Notices

Exterior Inspections Contains discussions about the exterior portion of a home inspection. This includes roofs, gutters, downspouts, decks, patios, windows, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 6/29/14, 10:34 PM
Nick Gromicko's Avatar
Nick Gromicko Nick Gromicko is online now
InterNACHI Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nederland, Colorado
Posts: 42,115
Default New patent for deck baluster bracket.

http://www.nachi.org/documents2012/US20140082921A1.pdf



Nick Gromicko, Certified Master Inspector
President, Contractors Association
Author, How to Run a Successful Home Inspection Business
Founder, InterNACHI
Owner,Nick Gromicko General Contractor


"Just as iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another."- Proverbs 27:17
Planet InterNACHI.... resistance is futile.
Reply With Quote
Need a home inspection in Delaware? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Delaware certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
  #2  
Old 6/30/14, 5:39 AM
John Paul L. de Oliveira's Avatar
John Paul L. de Oliveira John Paul L. de Oliveira is online now
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 568
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

It seems to have some advantages. One drawback can be designed out.

He got his 20 claims in



John Paul Lucas de Oliveira

Home Sight Inspection, LLC
GB 2 #86934 / NM RE AB #44580 / AHIT
Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Edgewood, Placitas, Los Lunas, East Mountain Areas
505-620-4439
http://homesightinspection.com



into alternative engines?
check out: http://lucasengine.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 6/30/14, 8:13 AM
Paul Lesieur's Avatar
Paul Lesieur Paul Lesieur is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Oaks, Minnesota
Posts: 784
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

Not very attractive.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 6/30/14, 10:39 AM
Frank W. Rotte's Avatar
Frank W. Rotte Frank W. Rotte is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Diego>>>for now
Posts: 290
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

That's revolutionary?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 7/2/14, 6:57 PM
Vaughn P. Adams, P.E. Vaughn P. Adams, P.E. is offline
InterNACHI Applicant
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotte View Post
That's revolutionary?
Frank,
Most certainly...all available 2" X 2" steel brackets or screws rigidly affix the baluster to the lower deck rail. Wood baluster shrinkage and subsequent moisture expansion leads to structural failure and potential loss of life and limb resulting from falls from failed balusters.
The Slip Tie Connector at the lower rail allows for vertical movement while maintaining its structural integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 7/2/14, 7:03 PM
Vaughn P. Adams, P.E. Vaughn P. Adams, P.E. is offline
InterNACHI Applicant
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeoliveira2 View Post
It seems to have some advantages. One drawback can be designed out.

He got his 20 claims in
I would be interested in knowing more about your "one drawback can be designed out"

Could you elaborate?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 7/2/14, 7:04 PM
Sean Fogarty's Avatar
Sean Fogarty Sean Fogarty is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in Knoxville TN flipping breakers
Posts: 3,737
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadams View Post
Frank,
Most certainly...all available 2" X 2" steel brackets or screws rigidly affix the baluster to the lower deck rail. Wood baluster shrinkage and subsequent moisture expansion leads to structural failure and potential loss of life and limb resulting from falls from failed balusters.
The Slip Tie Connector at the lower rail allows for vertical movement while maintaining its structural integrity.
Huh?? Structural Failure of what? I have looked at hundreds if not well over 1000 decks at this point, and the only thing I find is broken or rotted ballusters. NO structural failure and no hazards to life or limb. Its not real difficult to replace an .86 cent balluster. If all that holds the railing on is ballusters, then it's wrong to begin with.

Personally, all that metal attached to the entire surround of the deck would probably be an eyesore IMO.
By the time the ballusters are becoming a hazard to life or limb, so is the rest of the deck.






Fogarty Inspection Services Group of Knoxville TN

Home inspections, Commercial Inspections, Thermal Imaging, Mold, Enviromental Testing and Radon Testing for Knoxville TN, Oak Ridge TN, Maryville, Clinton, Farragut, Lenoir City, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and all the surrounding areas.

865-256-5397

www.homeinspectorknoxville.com

www.moldandradon.com

www.thermal-inspection.net

www.commercial-building-inspector.net
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 7/2/14, 7:31 PM
Larry Kage, CMI Larry Kage, CMI is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NW, MI
Posts: 11,513
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogarty View Post
Huh?? Structural Failure of what? I have looked at hundreds if not well over 1000 decks at this point, and the only thing I find is broken or rotted ballusters. NO structural failure and no hazards to life or limb. Its not real difficult to replace an .86 cent balluster. If all that holds the railing on is ballusters, then it's wrong to begin with.

Personally, all that metal attached to the entire surround of the deck would probably be an eyesore IMO.
By the time the ballusters are becoming a hazard to life or limb, so is the rest of the deck.

I heard from a friend, whose daughter was on a second story apartment deck, and her toddler "staggered" over toward the edge railing to pick up a ball and stumbled/fell forward hitting his head directly on one baluster which gave way because it was rotten and split. The two, on either side of that one at 4" apart, held as his shoulders hit them. Otherwise, he would have gone down 8 to 10 feet to the ground whatever was below.

Apparently, it was old, cracked (where the air gun slammed 2 or 3 nails into it) and painted over with several coats.

Most every deck I see has some kind of potential hazardous safety issue.



InterNachi Awards Portal: http://co.nachi.org/inachiawards/
____________________________________________
"An Education, not just an Inspection"

Larry Kage, CMI
whis11 @ charter.net
The above post represents my personal opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 7/2/14, 7:35 PM
Sean Fogarty's Avatar
Sean Fogarty Sean Fogarty is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in Knoxville TN flipping breakers
Posts: 3,737
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkage View Post
I heard from a friend, whose daughter was on a second story apartment deck, and her toddler "staggered" over toward the edge railing to pick up a ball and stumbled/fell forward hitting his head directly on one baluster which gave way because it was rotten and split. The two, on either side of that one at 4" apart, held as his shoulders hit them. Otherwise, he would have gone down 8 to 10 feet to the ground whatever was below.

Apparently, it was old, cracked (where the air gun slammed 2 or 3 nails into it) and painted over with several coats.

Most every deck I see has some kind of potential hazardous safety issue.
I wonder how old the deck was??? Even with a metal clip at the base, the top still needs securing and still could crack. Clip or no clip, something 20 years old is goung to be pretty rough.






Fogarty Inspection Services Group of Knoxville TN

Home inspections, Commercial Inspections, Thermal Imaging, Mold, Enviromental Testing and Radon Testing for Knoxville TN, Oak Ridge TN, Maryville, Clinton, Farragut, Lenoir City, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and all the surrounding areas.

865-256-5397

www.homeinspectorknoxville.com

www.moldandradon.com

www.thermal-inspection.net

www.commercial-building-inspector.net
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 7/2/14, 7:58 PM
Juan C. Jimenez Juan C. Jimenez is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: central va
Posts: 5,896
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

That is a bit excessive isn't it?



Juan Jimenez
A House on a Rock Home Inspections LLC
God. Family. Home.
804-269-4321
Richmond Home Inspector
Chesterfield Home Inspector
Petersburg Home Inspector
Richmond Radon Testing


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 7/2/14, 8:46 PM
Nick Gromicko's Avatar
Nick Gromicko Nick Gromicko is online now
InterNACHI Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nederland, Colorado
Posts: 42,115
Default Re: New patent for deck baluster bracket.

Larry writes:
Quote:
Most every deck I see has some kind of potential hazardous safety issue.
That has been my experience as well.



Nick Gromicko, Certified Master Inspector
President, Contractors Association
Author, How to Run a Successful Home Inspection Business
Founder, InterNACHI
Owner,Nick Gromicko General Contractor


"Just as iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another."- Proverbs 27:17
Planet InterNACHI.... resistance is futile.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Draft RESNET Standard now open for public comment John Snell Thermal Imaging, Infrared Cameras & Energy Audits 169 7/2/09 1:43 PM
Latent and Patent Defects gpallotta Canadian Inspectors 5 11/25/06 4:42 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 3:21 PM.
no new posts