re-roof

Just would like to get some opinion on this roof. As you can see the corner is up. The area was sound - no play or soft wood. Any idea what could have caused this (expcept maybe a bad repair). The third picture is of the home to the left, which is the same model.

51073.jpg

51071.jpg

51072.jpg

Pic #2 shows an unprofessional shingle install.

Pic #1 tells me that there is something strange going on with the underside of the structure in this area. Did you get a peek at this area from the attic?

David,

Could not get down there in the attic - too small and the ductwork ran down the middle.
This is one of those roofs that was put on after Hurricane Wilma. Supposidly the insurance company referred the roofer. I can almost be that it was an out of state roofer who is longe gone. There are numerous violations in the roof installation. I am even wonderin if permits were pulled and how it passed the city inspections.

Then I would simply note what you observed, as I see some sort of structural deficiency in this area.

By the looks of the drip edge it appears the sheathing of the pitched roof near the transition is lifting or installed in an unworkmanlike manner.

The problems I see from the photos are;

1. slot alignment in pic 2, installation was done by amateur
  2. humps and bumps in pic 1, decking is loose at best possible that the decking is delaminating or warping, very likely it would need replaced.
  3. questionable ventilation of the attic space, how many turbines in roof, what’s the cfm for the units, whats the attic space, is the air flow blocked by the hvac, what is the air intake source and does it have an adequate amount of NFAV

When doing a re-roof or tear-off (call it what you want) I always recommended that the deck be completely re-nailed, in my basic system this was an upsell on the better and best system it was included in the package…it is just that important. The process of tearing off the shingles involves and upward pull on the decking, this can and will loosen it, dependant upon the initial install quality of the decking the extent of the loosening of the deck varies. If the decking is not tightened down the result is often what you see in pic 2. Remember that often there is a change in the attic ventilation system done when a new roof is put on, this can cause changes in the average moisture control and heat control of the roof system below the shingles and this is what you get.

Recommend …examination by pro…due to findings…

A sagging ridge line will turn up the rake edge like that. Look for missing collar ties, spreading walls, rafters undersized, or slipping off the top plate. Excessive roof loads and moisture over time can slowly allow the wood framing to sag if the framing was light. A combination of any of these will do this. I see it all the time in the 50’s el-cheapo tract homes.

Seems to me that the garage was added on after the house was constructed.

What you are seeing is the ‘fly rafter’ which used to carry exposed soffit has been pushed up slightly during the construction of the garage.

No structural issues here.

The neighbors’ house has the same exact construction.

I can’t see this being an add-on if both house have the same design.