Really good free manuals on comp shingles

Some of the best sources of information on comp shingles I’ve found are the Shingle Applicator’s Manual and Shingle Technology Manual, both available for free from CertainTeed. Order them here.
The Applicator’s Manual has some of the best information I’ve ever seen on attic ventilation.

Thanks Kenton :smiley:

I tried to order the manuals, but there seems to be some error. luckily, an 800 number is provided, so I was able to leave a message.

These are great manuals and make useful reference guides too. You can also take their exams and get certifications (e.g., Shingle Quality Master and Master Shingle Applicator) and listed on their website free too. Comes in handy to be certified by the Mfr when the builder wants to argue about improper installation.

Their learning center is quite useful also.

http://www.certainteed.com/learning-center/building-science

IMHO, The building science site lacks the full information needed to make correct decisions and/or is selectively written to encourage/scare folks to use their products!!!

From the website “The Art of Moisture Management” section. (My comments/insertions are in blue.)

[FONT=Garamond-BookCondensed][size=3][size=2]"There are two methods for moisture movement:[/size][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond-BoldCondensed]*Diffusion *[/FONT][FONT=Garamond-BookCondensed]refers to the movement of moisture through a substance.[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond-BookCondensed]In areas where vapor pressure is different from one side of an object[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond-BookCondensed](e.g., a wall) to another, moisture is diffused through the object

(wall) to equalize the pressure. “High permeability” materials, such
as brick, gypsum board and fibrous insulation, allow moisture to
move freely. “Low permeability” materials, called vapor barriers or
vapor retarders, resist the flow of moisture.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond-BoldCondensed]*Air leakage *[/FONT][FONT=Garamond-BookCondensed]also creates moisture movement due to the water vapor[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond-BookCondensed]that’s part of air. Moisture carried into (infiltration) or out of[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond-BookCondensed](exfiltration) a home due to air leakage can be 10 to 100 times

greater than moisture transferred by diffusion, which is a substantially
slower process. The same pressure differential factors influencing
the flow of air also influence moisture flow greatly. Therefore, in an “energy-efficient” air-sealed home, much, much less moisture is released to the outside** –allowing for a potentially damaging amount of moisture to build up inside the home." *******

[/FONT]

***** In this sentence, they don’t mention the benefits of moisture not being released outward!!! If moisture movement by airflow (the much greater moisture “mover” and also a huge energy loss) is now severely reduced, there is very little chance of hidden condensation in walls/attics; in better cases to the point of moisture movement essentially being stopped to attics, ventilation for attics can be cut back…less holes in the roofing/gable wall systems for water/snow to potentially leak/blow in.

****** They follow with a strong negative about mositure- Moisture being held in the home can to a degree be positive by reducing the need for cold weather humidification-no humidifiers needed on furnaces. And we do have the technologies (called fans, air exchangers, HRV’s) to control indoor humidities…so why are they talking like it’s still the late 1970’s/early 80’s- “Houses are getting too tight; gonna rot’em out and kill people with mold!!”

Other notes to add to claims on their site:

- Air barriers help eliminate moisture problems
Notice how in the following, emphasis is on “airsealing”; keep following the leads to and on the EERE and ORNL sites!!!

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/insulation/fact%20sheets/Air%20sealing%20technology%20fact.pdf

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/insulation/ins_05.html

-Their details on window flashing are weak!!

I noticed under affiliations IACHI (International Association of Certified Home Inspectors) is listed. Certainteed courses are good for Continuing Education Credits. Do they mean INACHI?? Anybody know for sure?

Courses from certainteed are accepted for CE here.

I’m almost certain they are. I have not taken these yet, but have similar ones such as http://www.aecdaily.com/olc/ and they were accepted as Nachi CE"s.

NACHI is not on the list. How do I get credit for them?

check at fastreply@nachi.org

Here is a link that works.

All I’ve ever done is log them into the CE Log. Certainteed courses are accepted.

Thanks Scott

I took 3 of the course from them last year, they are good and did count.

I received the two manuals today via UPS…really good stuff! Well worth having for reference material.

Thanks for the links guys! Great learning! :slight_smile:

Good point, Chuck. It’s not that much extra studying, a lot of this is stuff we already know.

Hey Chuck,
Where on the website do you find the requirements for certification and taking the exams?

Never mind, kept looking around and think it’s here. Along with that, here’s the link to Continuing Education offered by them.