Sheathing

The home was built in 1900. Home has visible 1X wood in the unfinished attic.

Roof appears to be 2 layers of asphalt.

Is the roof decking(Sheathing) that is visible between the 1X a wood shingle roof?

The stated 13 year old roof did not look as it was installed properly. Looks like the 2nd roof or sheathing was deteriorated or buckling.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

107907 010 (Small).jpg

107907 049 (Small).jpg

107907 050 (Small).jpg

The sheathing 4X8 or strips installed between or over the 1X is usually the typical(proper way) to
prepare the roof decking for installing an asphalt roof. This was from a house I did this week.

Thanks for your opinions, expertise & comments.

107707 045 (Small).jpg

Yes, that looks like wood shingles between the 1 X wood skip sheathing.

Personally, I wouldn’t do it that way but I believe some manufacturers allow it.

It is not a sensible practice, IMO.

Check this link: http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21353&highlight=wood+shingles

“Is the roof decking(Sheathing) that is visible between the 1X a wood shingle roof?”

Yes, that is how they used to do them.

You are very wrong about that. The reason the cedar shingles on skip sheathing have lasted well over 50 years in good shape, is completely due to the exposed underside breathability. A properly installed cedar shingle roof is a 3 ply of wood shingles and is very weather proof.

When you see cedar shingles or shakes installed on top of standard plywood or OSB deck sheathing in todays times, unless thery have cedar breather under them, they are destined to prematurely curl and bow and split all over the place in less than 20 years.

Ed

Ed,

I was referring to installing asphalt shingles over wood shingles.

Regardless of the underlayment or the number of layers the shingles pictured # 3 should be considered for estimates and proper replacement installation.