Underside of exterior "bump out"

Comments about exposed, untreated wood on the underside of this bump out/extension? If any concerns, how would you comment on it? What is the proper way of doing it, if not acceptable?

It’s not in ground contact or that close to ground so I don’t think it would be an issue.

If it’s ‘inspectable’ and 6" above soil or mulch, I wouldn’t say anything.

I have a bump out (cantilevered wall) whereupon it was not properly framed and joist were exposed… joists within 12 inches of ground contact should be pressure treated.
I also pointed out that it was not properly insulated.

I would put that because its close proximity to the ground and it not be accessible that you can not fully determine the condition of the flooring structure.

Jeff

How did you determine this?

Her is my concern.I see exposed wood close to the ground and bushes and plantings.They will be watered and the wood is to close to the ground and should have vapor retarder on the wood at the very least.I see no insulation or any kind vapor retarder of any kind and you shoud see it flashed also at the bottom of starter point of the sidding.I also see a down spout going under the bumpout and is it vented or closed for if it is vented it will let water out right under the bumpout and the water vapor will rise up and contact the wood.I would have put membrain on it if I had built it to insure that it is water tight.also is there gravel on the ground grade and does it look clean, these are the things I look for.I hope this helps I could go on for I am looking for and at things like this almost every inspection. I do this for I am also a exterior maintenance company and try to locate the scorce of the problem so I can get a proper:) result from my repairs.

I could see it from inside the crawl…

As close to the ground as this is in Ohio, in 20 years time, the wood under the overhang will have absorbed enough moisture to be a problem.
Hopefully that drain pipe is not perforated to provide even more moisture to that untreated wood.
Provisions should have been made to make this area completly moisture resistant and resistant of air infiltration.
Material used for such an area should be maintainance free.
Even though insulated, there is nothing to prevent moisture vapor intrusion in the floor assembly that we can see.
Too close to the ground period.
Here is a detail that may provide such an asembly. Although not accurrate for this situation, it is a good similarity.

:):slight_smile:

Deal Killer…:mrgreen:

Kinda hard on him huh?? :wink:

Why does the OSB/ Vertical mulch look a little blackened where it overhangs on the wall?

Why is there no evidence of a moisture barrier hanging out the bottom of the wall between the OSB and the lap siding?