Unusual Attic Access

First time I’ve seen it done this way.
I knew something was up when there was no attic access in the 2nd floor ceiling.

I’ve done a handful or so of ones like that. At least you don’t have worry about cleaning up all that d*!n cellulose afterward;-)

True dat:-)

They should have made a gable vent out of it also and doubled up its usage.

You mean like this?

Not if it already has a fully functional ventilation system already in place!

Haven’t come across this yet. Are there any requirements for interior access to the attic space or is the acceptable?

There’s no requirement for attic access at all.

R807.1 Attic access. **Buildings with combustible ceiling or roof construction **shall have an *attic *access opening to attic areas that exceed 30 square feet (2.8 m2) and have a vertical height of 30 inches (762 mm) or greater. The vertical height shall be measured from the top of the ceiling framing members to the underside of the roof framing members.

The rough-framed opening shall not be less than 22 inches by 30 inches (559 mm by 762 mm) and shall be located in a hallway or other readily accessible location. When located in a wall, the opening shall be a minimum of 22 inches wide by 30 inches high. When the access is located in a ceiling, minimum unobstructed headroom in the *attic *space shall be 30 inches (762 mm) at some point above the access measured vertically from the bottom of ceiling framing members. See Section M1305.1.3 for access requirements where mechanical *equipment *is located in *attics. *

I stand corrected, but you have to admit, there is a lot of “loophole” in that code, which explains why MANY homes have no attic access at all, nor are they required to.

I agree. The space must meet minimum size requirements.

Thank you for posting, I thought something along these lines were the case. Would an exterior access in the gable wall be considered readily accessible?

It’s easy to climb into these this type of access, it can be awkward getting back out.

I have run across only one and it was like this one pictured. Did make it nice not having to clean up. I hate those 1 1/2’ x 1 1/2’ scuttle holes in closets and in bathroom closets to boot.