Vent in Ledger Board

How would you guys write this up? This is a bathroom vent that was part of a jackleg basement remodelling project.

123.jpg

I wouldn’t write it up because I don’t think there is a problem with it.

I don’t see a problem either.

Jeff,

Just curious…what sort of defect did this vent install cause?

Shouldn’t the ledger board be treated as a floor joist and need to meet all the notching & boring guidelines for such?

Michael, that’s what I was wondering. I’ve never encountered notching or boring in a ledger board before and wasn’t sure if that was an issue. Incidentally, David, there was also mildew on the siding below the vent presumably related to shower moisture.

I would be concerned with the fact that there appears
to be no flashing above the ledger.

If the ledger is bolted to the building as it should be, that
vent opening is not a problem.

Carla

I wouldn’t even call that a ledger board. Just the inside joist. All the rest of the joists are parallel to it so the only weight it is carrying is its share of the deck boards. I also see a bolt in the picture. In my opinion, no issue.

On second examination, it looks like a mobile home with skirting. If that is so, it should not be bolted to the structure. Mobile home decks are required to be free standing. That is an issue to call out.

*I would be concerned with the fact that there appears
to be no flashing above the ledger.

*Carla interesting observation. Just as a regional note…, I have yet to see rim joist with flashing or drip cap. That would be best practice but for some reason I have yet to encounter such an installation up here.

Thanks for all the input. It’s not a mobile home, and I too almost never see flashing in this location, but I do see problems from the lack thereof.

The potential problemn lies not in what we see in the face of that rim, but in the flashing method used to seal the rim against the exterior wall.
The question is… can runoff run down the back side of the rim and into the exterior wall through the hole cut in the wall sheathing to allow the vent to pass through.
-Kent

Without flashing??? Absolutely. I’ve seen it happen many times here.

Recommend flashing at ledger board area and silicone sealer around the vent trim.

Unless the deck is going to be replaced in near future, at what point do you recommend providing a flashing? The ledgerboard should also be pressure treated in new construction for my liking.

If it’s missing flashing, I recommend it be installed (no matter what the situation may be).

I’ve seen many rotted ledgers and have read many articles relating to occupants being hospitalized due to the deck (that they were standing on) falling off the house.

As for being pressure treated, that’s common sense. But keep in mind, not everyone has common sense.

It maybe good practice to provide flashing but is it a code requirement. I can’t seem to find anything for my area, but your area may require it.

Not a code requirement around here … most just provide “silicone” flashing and most builders believe that is just fine.

It can be very difficult to install flashing on an old large deck after the fact and I doubt it will ever be done. It can also be hard to apply silicone caulking on a regular basis with the deck boards in the way.

Now what?

I seem to remember a code about sealing the building envelope from water penetration…but don’t have it.

I’m with David, recommend it to prevent water intrusion and damage and let them decide if it’s worth it.