Whats the cover for?

Is this cover on the roof related to the pool? The pool pump is directly below the flex pipe. Is it some type of solar hetaer for the pool?

Thanks

Dave

78406 Norton 005 (Small).jpg

Im assuming that you are talking about the Solar Panels?

Paul

Is the solar panel to heat the pool? Never seen this set uop before. How does the panel hook up to the pool controls to heat the pool?

Those are simply, small black tubes/tubing. The pump system is connected directly to this (no electricity other than at the pump).

Generally, there is a bypass to run the circulation pump without adding the heated water to the pool/spa. Very common in CA and a complete eye-sore if you ask me.

David,

Ditto what jeff said

Keep in mind that those types of solar systems are not only an eyesore but a maitenance nightmare as far as keeping debri from building up around and underneath. Although some areas allow the flexible piping its not a good idea in my opinion. Most of the ones that ive encountered have been hard piped.

I would find out the who the manufacturer is of that system and pull up the installation guide online to verify that it was installed correctly or refer it out to a licensed contractor.

Hope this helps.

Paul Pendley
Premier Property Inspections

I was gonna say that solar system looks like crap up there, but I think that would be a compliment.

This is not uncommon here in California. They are unglazed solar panels for heating the pool. I would check the installation manual to be sure they were properly installed. The workmanship on the connection piping is very questionable. (looks like s**t)
Unsightly they may be but it sure beats paying the $100+ per month to heat the pool. (I once forgot to turn off the pool heater after inspecting and got a $600 bill three months later. My fault, I payed) It does appear that they are on the back side of the roof, not visible from the street. Sometimes function is beauty!

That is the most common form of pool heat we have here in FL. They are common for leakage around the anchor bolts (look for rotted or stained roof sheathing in the attic), and the small tubes frequently leak at their connection to the collector pipes.