Asbestos Cover Up Question

I am looking at purchasing a home that I think may have asbestos ceiling tiles. The home was built in 1955. The interior ceiling tiles in question are approx. 1’x2.’ I know for sure that the exterior is covered in asbestos shingles (can I just pressure wash and paint this?). I am not interested in having the ceiling tiles tested for asbestos (as I know that this is the only way to know for sure if they are composed of the material) -i just want to cover them up. The question is this: even though the ceiling tiles appear to be in good shape -is it safe to sheetrock over the top of them. Please keep in mind that the overhead light fixtures would have to be moved down to accommodate the thickness of the sheetrock and that sheetrock screws would be used. Also, we would move two walls small walls -and, ultimately, this could/would disturb the ceiling. Would it be considered safe to make this change a diy project?

While I am at it -Any other immediate dangers I should consider before purchasing a home built in 1955?

Thank you, in advance, for all of your help!

Lead paint.

You have come to the right place to find a good home inspector

If I were to buy another home I would get it inspected by someone other than myself.

“A lawyer who defends himself has a fool for a client”

On the subject of Asbestos you might want to also Google the question

rlb

Additional information here

http://www.nachi.org/asbestos.htm

This might help.

http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/vpfacilities/pdf/AsbestosBrochure-Document.pdf

Marcel:) :smiley:

Marcel,
What movie star’s photo are you using for your avatar???:slight_smile:

Funny Linas, even this one is two years old. I look worst now, ha. ha.

It is one of those upgrade things that I am learning from Dominic Maricic I think. :wink:

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink:

I thought that was Clark Gable!

:cool: :smiley: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Did You say Betty Grable ???..lol…just kidding marcel…couldn’t help myself…jim

:smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley:

Great link Marcel, I found it to be a nice little refresher course.

Thanks,
Mark