Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Interior Inspections

Notices

Interior Inspections Contains discussions about the interior portion of a home inspection. This includes stairs, walls, floors, ceilings, smoke detectors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3/15/07, 11:28 AM
New User

Please Note: ssledzianowski is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Burning Odor

Hello,
I received a call from a client that I did home inspection for. The inspection was a pre listing inspection. My client has owed the home for many years. And the house was in excellent shape. I only came across a few small issues. She said she has always smelled a burning odor in the house. She asked if I could come by and see for myself. I told her I would but I cannot smell (only citrus, oranges limes etc.) I asked if anyone else in the house smells it. She said her husband does not. I asked if he only smells it during the heating season (thinking maybe boiler related). She said she smells it all year round. Anyway does anyone have any suggestions (again she smells a burning all year). I am not sure how strong, and I believe it through out the whole house.
Thanks
Scott
Old 3/15/07, 2:02 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: ckratzer is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Burning Odor

Have you checked the main lugs on the breaker panel?
I had a similar situation.One of the main lugs was stripped so couldn't be tightened down.Hence a loose connection,hence arcing ,resulting in a burning smell and a fire hazard. I understand your olfactory disadvantage.Electrical fires have a distinct odor so maybe you could have your client sniff around at,but not touching ,the panel and let you know.
Old 3/15/07, 2:51 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssledzianowski
Hello,
I received a call from a client that I did home inspection for. The inspection was a pre listing inspection. My client has owed the home for many years. And the house was in excellent shape. I only came across a few small issues. She said she has always smelled a burning odor in the house. She asked if I could come by and see for myself. I told her I would but I cannot smell (only citrus, oranges limes etc.) I asked if anyone else in the house smells it. She said her husband does not. I asked if he only smells it during the heating season (thinking maybe boiler related). She said she smells it all year round. Anyway does anyone have any suggestions (again she smells a burning all year). I am not sure how strong, and I believe it through out the whole house.
Thanks
Scott
Take an Infra red thermometer and look at plugs ( panel as said above ) and other places this just might show a loose connection some where . Good luck Roy Cooke
Old 3/15/07, 6:05 PM
InterNACHI Member

While we're on the subject of burning wires. I can recall an inspection last year where just one room had a distinct smell of burning wires. I then went into the attic (above this room) and wouldn't you know, there was Knob & Tube wiring that was spliced into with Romex and electrical tape that was causing the burning smell.
Old 3/16/07, 10:33 AM
InterNACHI Member

wow good catch

"Be Proud of Your Home, Go With Pride!"
'Not just a Home Inspection, but an Education'

Pride Property Inspections provides professional Home Inspections throughout Tucson and Southern Arizona including Pima, Cochise, Pinal, Santa Cruz, Graham counties.

Old 3/16/07, 12:09 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: wforsyth is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

It was probably Tony testing the insulation.