Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Interior Inspections

Notices

Interior Inspections Contains discussions about the interior portion of a home inspection. This includes stairs, walls, floors, ceilings, smoke detectors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6/13/09, 3:50 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Daylight thru the roof

Sometimes it's the simple things that trip me up. When I entered the attic of a home with a wood shake roof, I could see multiple instances (5 or 6) of light coming through the shake. My gut reaction is that we should never see daylight through a roof, but there were so many and not a lot of moisture issues (some dry stains around some areas) it's making me wonder how to write it up. The exterior shakes were in fair condition, no immediate repairs required. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
daylight-thru-roof-v31bd.jpg   daylight-thru-roof-yxmmg.jpg  

Tom Yeager
Owner/Certified Inspector
Inspect-It 1st
303-464-9090
www.tyeagerinspects.com
NEHA Radon Certification # 104169 RT
NACHI Certified Home Inspector
Find an InterNACHI certified Georgia Home Inspector (and anywhere else in North America)
Old 6/13/09, 4:09 PM
Active Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to dbelmont
Please Note: dbelmont is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Daylight thru the roof

I have found it is possible to see light on shake/shingle roofs. But usually when the shakes were warped and showing heavy sign of deterioration. What sort of condition were the shingles in?

I think you'd have to write up what you see. Hole and water stains. If they're not currently wet then say so and recommend monitoring. I find thermal imaging to work well in this circumstance unless it's been very dry and hot for several weeks.
Old 6/13/09, 5:10 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via AIM to gbeaumont Send a message via MSN to gbeaumont Send a message via Yahoo to gbeaumont

Hi to all,

we are getting way too used to thinking that all roof systems are designed to be air tight, when I lived in both the UK and New England it was very common to see points of light on older slate roofs. I would note that light could be seen between some shingles, but if I felt that there were no active leaks I would just advise monitoring the system (unless there were signs of damaged, rotting or warping shingles).

Edit after 2nd thought: how old is the home/roofing system? all manufacturers of modern cedar shingle recommend a felt paper substrate over the skip sheathing, if this were a shake rather than a shingle it would require felt/tar paper between every course.

Regards

Gerry

"To realize our true destiny, we must be guided not by a myth from our past, but by a vision of our future."
(Mark B Adams)

Commercial property Inspection Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, Jacksonville, Ft Launderdale, Miami, Florida.
NACHI cell 484-429-5466
NACHI02121106

Last edited by gbeaumont; 6/13/09 at 5:14 PM..
Old 6/13/09, 6:21 PM
InterNACHI Member

Thank you both!

"Observe and report!" "Observe and report!" "Observe and report!"

I will document what I saw and recommend monitoring. Older roof (15 years?) but in pretty good condition.

Thanks!

Tom Yeager
Owner/Certified Inspector
Inspect-It 1st
303-464-9090
www.tyeagerinspects.com
NEHA Radon Certification # 104169 RT
NACHI Certified Home Inspector
Old 6/15/09, 6:36 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via MSN to bwiley

That pic to me looks like a hole in the roof at a rafter, and I can't imagine it wouldn't be leaking. I agree with Gerry about shake and slate roofing in general, but in this case the hole looks like it's in the middle of a shingle/shake, and I'd have recommended repair.

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
Abraham Lincoln

www.qualityhomeinspectionsfl.com