Garage Electronic Sensors what year required?

What year was the garage door electronic sensors required. Also, do current garage standards require both electronic sensor and resistance door reversal?

Thanks

I think it was 1991.

this is a bit more accurate

Residential garage door operators manufactured on or after January 1, 1993 for sale in the United States are required to be equipped with a reversing mechanism and a photo eye.

What B said as I was typing is better info.

Thank you for the quick replies! much appreciated.

Being beat up tonight at IN because I do not use a 2x4 to test and risk door damage.
I hold the door and let go if it is not reversing.

Thoughts?

I use the same approach to check the down force auto reverse by applying light pressure to garage door upon closing; I think using a 2X4 is a bad idea.

I use light pressure as well. Serves the same purpose and avoids possible damage IMO.

Accurate yes, but neither “Exhaustive or Complete” :smiley:

Thanks ,Have Jerry Peck claiming it is manufactures instructions to use a 2x4 and let it get damaged under failure which is a lot of garage doors to ruin.

Bob, I use my hand.

If I can’t get it to reverse a little past half way down. It needs adjustment.

No reason to be destroying door panels IMHO regardless of what Peck says.

Using a full roll of paper towels is another option with less risk of breakage.

I like the hand method as I can control the force.

Me too but calibration is a stinker. :wink:

This is one of those situations where it’s important as a home inspector to use the part of your brain that controls your common sense (sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts).
I don’t have that extra money to waste when the garage door will not retract when it hits the 2x4 and causes damage. :ack:

I have heard of a few guys using a fish scale but I still use my hand. All my reasons have already been said.

Wasting time at IN as they are in total opposition to everyone here.
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/exterior-systems-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/30046-garage-door-retractor.html#post194806

Here we go again…

The 2x4 test is the entrapment test only. The force monitoring is done via optical shaft monitoring which equates the slowing down of the motor due to a likely obstruction. The firmware ignores the force during that last few inches of down travel and that is where the anti entrapment feature kicks in.

The force reverse safety test requires more talent or equipment to properly check.
It should reverse around 10-15 pounds. 12 is the target I think. We are required to actually test this feature in NC.

Sensor eyes are no longer required on every door as long as you have an anti-pinch type door AND an opener with microprocessor force mapping that is certified to reverse at less than approx 12 pounds. I see these all the time and all around here of this type are made by Wayne Dalton.

Bob, I do it the same way as you if that makes you feel any better. :slight_smile:

You can’t win at IN with that leader of the pack. All he can do is read what is in black and white and no common sense because he never installed a door in his life must likely. :wink:

Every garage door manufactured for the US market since 1993 includes this sticker, as mandated by the “Code of Federal Regulations: Title 16: Commercial Practices, Part 1211—Safety standard for automatic residential garage door operators)”.

The installation instructions require the installer to place the sticker next to the operator control button.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/HomeCert/P1380981.jpg

I have no fear of performing the test in the manner that the manufacturer prescribes. If it fails, it “Failed under standard end user test method as defined by the manufacturer”

"Place one -inch object (or 2x4 laid flat) on floor.
If door fails to reverse on contact, adjust door. "

Well, what happens to a door when it fails to reverse?

Guess what, if the travel arm is installed wrong, you loose the top panel.

Then what.?:wink: