GE recalls 174,000 dishwashers because of potential fire hazard.

General Electric Co., the biggest maker of appliances for newly U.S. built homes, is recalling about 174,000 dishwashers because of a potential fire hazard, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said.

No injuries were reported from incidences in which water condensation dripped onto an electronic control board, causing it to short-circuit, the commission said in a statement.

Of five fires reported, four caused minor counter defects and one damaged adjacent cabinets and produced minor smoke damage to the home, the agency said. The recall is for Profile models made between July 2002 and December 2005 and Monogram models between January 2004 and December 2006 in white, black, bisque, stainless steel and with some custom panels.

The agency said customers can contact GE for a free in-home repair or a rebate of $200 for the purchase of a new GE Profile dishwasher and a GE rebate of $400 for purchase of a new GE Monogram dishwasher. The recall hotline is +1-877-275-6840, or, to check the serial number, visit the company’s website. http://www.geappliances.com/

GE recalling Dishwashers.
What a surprise (not)
Back in the 90’s it seemed like GE was getting recalled once a week with what then were the cheapest POS made at the time.
They DW’s weighed half what the others did.I was installing them at the time.
Serious side thanks for the heads up.

Bob, I had always invisioned you as at least a Maytag Repair Man, and that is why you started Home Inspections. :):mrgreen::wink:

Marcel I was head appliance installer for three Sears stores lasting 5-6 years in the 90’s.
I averaged 10 stops a day(150-200 miles driving) and had to run electric,cut counters,cut cabinets,run water lines,install 225 ib A/C units in transoms all day long with no helper most of the time.
All install had to be completed even if no utilities were available at the location of the install.
I learned how to do a lot of fast conduit bending and gas pipe runs.
That was a experience I will never forget as I was paid by the job.
Surprising what you can do and learn when you need to eat.

I was only pulling your leg Bob, but I agree with that last sentence. :slight_smile:

Well you were close to right but I was far from lonely in those days.