height of windows above the floor

Does anyone know of a required minimum height for an opening window above the floor. For example lets say its a 32" wide double hung 60" tall and it is 24" off the floor. Wouldn’t the window in the open position pose a fall hazard the same as a 24" railing around a deck?

Hi to all,

Charles the quick anwer is 18 inches, but her is the long answer :wink:

Regards

Gerry

**R613.2Window sills.
**In dwelling units, where the opening of
an operable window is located more than 72 inches (1829 mm)
above the finished grade or surface below, the lowest part of the
clear opening of the window shall be a minimum of 24 inches
(610 mm) above the finished floor of the room in which the
window is located. Glazing between the floor and 24 inches
(610 mm) shall be fixed or have openings through which a
4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere cannot pass.

Thanks Jerry—I have all that I just think it is a little odd that a window without a barrier above 18" wouldn’t be considered a hazard.

Sometimes screens are considered a barrier.

Yes, for bugs. :mrgreen:

Really, the ones labeled that I see state something like "CAUTION-This window screen will not protect against falling out. Children left unattended…blah, blah, blah.

Which version of the IRC is this from? In 2003, R613.2 is performance.

I run into this a lot here. Especially on new construction. San Antonio is on the 2003 IRC and there is nothing specific in it to prohibit this. I still call it out as a “potential” safety hazard for small children. I also tell the client that there is no “code” enforced here to make the builder change it.

Dale what jurisdiction has adopted the 2006 IRC?

None in Arizona I know of. I don’t have the UBC on a disk, the new one is coming out next year I think.

2003 IRC R308.4 Hazardous Locations. pg48

Hey Dale,

Is the UBC still in publication? I thought that was the old ICBO publication which has since been merged into ICC - IRC Codes. I believe 1997 UBC was the last year. 2000 International Building Codes replaced same.

how low can you go?

lowandlowerwindow.jpg