Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Interior Inspections

Notices

Interior Inspections Contains discussions about the interior portion of a home inspection. This includes stairs, walls, floors, ceilings, smoke detectors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4/20/06, 2:34 AM
New User

Please Note: cab1024 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Identify carpet fungus

Hello,
When I walked into my apartment yesterday it smelled musty for the first time. Granted it has been raining for the last 30 of 40 days in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Today I discovered fungus growing like mushrooms out of my carpet near an exterior wall.

Can anyone help me identify the fungus and if you know if they are more or less dangerous than other molds/mildew/fungi?

Thanks,
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
identify-carpet-fungus-bigfungus.jpg   identify-carpet-fungus-smallerfungus.jpg  
Old 4/20/06, 1:15 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Identify carpet fungus

Can't help with identifying it but, Have you pulled up the carpet to see how extensive the root system is underneath. It may be a greaterproblem than what is visible.

"If God was one of us, would he recommend a detailed analysis by a structural engineer for the world?"

Michael S. Saxton
http://www.duluthhomeinspections.com
Old 4/20/06, 1:21 PM
InterNACHI Member

Rain outside should not cause growth inside. You've got a much bigger problem than trying to identify the type of fungus.

Either your exterior grade is too high, or you have a roof or window leak. It could also be a combination of several defects. The fungus is only a symptom of the real problem.

IF YOUR INSPECTOR IS NOT USING THERMAL IMAGING, YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE WHOLE PICTURE ®
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738
Santa Clarita Home Inspection
http://www.MyInspector.net

Old 4/20/06, 1:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

Wow!

You have a leak!
Get someone in there with the right moisture detection equipment and determine the extent and source of the moisture intrusion.

That fungus may not be the bad stuff, but it lives under the same environment as the bad stuff!

Quote:
You've got a much bigger problem than trying to identify the type of fungus.
As Jeff posted...
Old 4/20/06, 1:49 PM
New User

Please Note: cab1024 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Thanks everyone. The landlord was in this morning with moisture detection equipment that he attached to the cement after pulling up a corner of the apartment.

The area is near a window but we have not seen any evidence of a leak from the window, at least nothing running down the walls. It could be within the wall.

But with the ground around here completely saturated after closer to 45 days of rain (than 30) I wouldn't be surprised if it is seeping though the foundation cement through either a crack or osmosis (is that the right word?).

Fotunately the landlord is a building inspector and this is his first rental property, so I think he'll do what is best for both the property and us. I just wonder what the next step is.
Old 4/20/06, 2:09 PM
InterNACHI Member

1. Get rid of moisture.
2. Get rid of moisture.
3. Get rid of moisture!
Old 4/20/06, 6:33 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab1024
Hello,
When I walked into my apartment yesterday it smelled musty for the first time. Granted it has been raining for the last 30 of 40 days in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Today I discovered fungus growing like mushrooms out of my carpet near an exterior wall.

Can anyone help me identify the fungus and if you know if they are more or less dangerous than other molds/mildew/fungi?

Thanks,
Chuck
Truffles?
Old 4/20/06, 9:56 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Jay Moge is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

looks like someone dropped beef stogenoff.
Old 4/24/06, 10:00 AM
Unmoderated Guest

Please Note: Caoimhín P. Connell is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Hello Cab1024:

Peziza domiciliana (AKA “The Common Indoor Mushroom”) Toxic? Hmmm nothing a little extra garlic won’t take care of…

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com
Old 4/24/06, 12:38 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhín P. Connell
Hello Cab1024:

Peziza domiciliana (AKA “The Common Indoor Mushroom”) Toxic? Hmmm nothing a little extra garlic won’t take care of…

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
Mr Connell
I appreciate your post's I feel your information is so important and I for one will not get involved with testing for mould or giving an openion on it .
I like the idea of staying out of court and facing you or some other well trained scientist .

Roy Cooke sr
Old 4/24/06, 10:39 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Jay Moge is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhín P. Connell
Hello Cab1024:

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
oh goody, i love pizza with mushrooms.
Old 4/27/06, 1:55 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: dplummer is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Check the carpet backing. Is it jute(natural fiber)? Or a synthetic backing? Mould loves jute. If not properly treated the mould will continue to grow. Doug
Old 4/27/06, 10:35 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplummer
Check the carpet backing. Is it jute(natural fiber)? Or a synthetic backing? Mould loves jute. If not properly treated the mould will continue to grow. Doug
we used to use jute mat (100' by 3' rolls) for errosion on steep slopes till the grass grows. i was told it's made from coconut hair. i know it holds water like a camel, and it's heavy when wet.
Old 6/9/06, 5:41 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via AIM to smyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab1024
Thanks everyone. The landlord was in this morning with moisture detection equipment that he attached to the cement after pulling up a corner of the apartment.

The area is near a window but we have not seen any evidence of a leak from the window, at least nothing running down the walls. It could be within the wall.

But with the ground around here completely saturated after closer to 45 days of rain (than 30) I wouldn't be surprised if it is seeping though the foundation cement through either a crack or osmosis (is that the right word?).

Fotunately the landlord is a building inspector and this is his first rental property, so I think he'll do what is best for both the property and us. I just wonder what the next step is.
There are many questions to address to come to a more accurate conclusion as to what's happening. Hopefully your landlord will properly take care of the situation. An inspection of the exterior around that area would be a good start, looking for cracks/gaps in the building envelope, grade to slab height, exterior surface and drainage to name a few key points. It's unusual to see mushrooms inside without other indications of water intrusion and mold growth.
Old 6/9/06, 10:53 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Mike Parks is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Jeff

"Rain outside should not cause growth inside".

True, however we (my company) are removing the exterior (everything) off of a home do to mold, a stucco failure.

The entire home is under containment, I mean the home is covered from the weather.

Rain last night caused the moisture content of the drywall to rise above acceptable levels.

Find an IICRC certified firm or an HI to look at the problem.