Insulation?

Am I a tard? Is this considered insulation…and what is the R value per inch?

Peanut packing material may have some insulation value,but I somehow doubt it is approved.

Was it sticking all over you ? :slight_smile:

Just Googled it ,and it is combustible.
Write it up.

Probably toxic when it burns too.

Thanks guys…I forgot about the fire hazard potential.

But But It is will easy to ship if needed.

So is the wood framing members that wires run through, over and under. We don’t write that up!!

Here’s a post I made about 2.5 years ago:

Be more insistent on multiple interconnected line voltage smoke dectectors plus battery back-ups. I some times recommend up to 3-4 in the basement due to dryer, water heater, furnace/boiler, electrical panel being situated in different rooms with closed doors. It’s cheap insurance for detecting a fire before it really gets developed.

IMHO, the foam issue is way overstated by the codes!! Seems it’s just a historical artifact from when foam panels first came out. We have foam pillows/cushions, carpet pads, and lots of other plastics in houses today but we don’t have to cover them with 1/2" drywall. Haven’t heard of higher #'s of deaths related to insulation foam in fires!! It’s the CO and cyanides from a variety of sources.

http://www.polyurethane.org/s_api/se…d=936&did=3671

From http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559849:

"In a study done in Sweden at the National Testing Center, they looked at a controlled burning of household items, everything from VCRs to furniture to chairs to cables, anything that you would find in a residential structure. What they found was amazing throughout. These are the isocyanide levels that came through all the building materials. But the biggest that came through is fiberglass insulation. The insulated wool actually threw off the highest levels. When you look at it from the fire service perspective, when you look at the pink and yellow insulation inside walls and you see firemen out in the streets, you know they are fighting fires and they are going through tearing the building apart to find any hot spots in it and you see the insulation consistently being pulled out and looked at.
This has become a significant concern in the fire service, because we used to concentrate on the wool, the cotton materials, and some of the plastics."

BTW, silk throws off cyanide also!!

From the Portland Concrete Association in an article about the fire resistance of ICF homes:
“[FONT=FilosofiaRegular][size=2]Practically any organic material, like wood or plastic, gives off emissions when subjected to intense heat or flame. The Southwest Research Institute reviewed numerous existing studies of fire emissions and concluded that emissions from polystyrene foams are “no more toxic” than those of wood.”
[/size][/FONT]

Hmmmm I might be willing to give up that whole non-toxic air of death thing over not having to itch like crazy after going into the attic…

Are we not missing the point here? Are packing peanuts truly a good source of insulation. I would think if they were it would be common. I personaly would say that although foam products are used in construction, most are ridgid board, and the loose fill peanuts are not a common application in the attic. They also may have little ability to insulate and do their job like other proven materials do. Lastly what does the local building department require or allow?

The wood framing will not ignite from a small spark created by a bad electrical connection or conductor.

There are many flammable components that are brought into a home by the occupants. The construction materials of the residence should have some resistance to ignition. The toxicity of the burning foam is much less an issue than its high flammability, and its ability to sustain fire and increase the spread of flames.

(1) How do they wire ICF homes?
… By cutting channels for the wires in the inside layer of polystyrene!!! Code folks don’t seem to have a problem with that.

(2) There’s another type of foam wall home system been manufactured/sold here for years in which foam slabs of expanded polystyrene beadboard is inserted between the 10" OC studs. There are horizontal channels precut in the slabs for wiring.

(3) Locally polystyrene beads have been sold as pouring insulation for exterior wall cavities that may be open from the attic.

(4) The same company has been grinding, bagging and selling (at great prices) excess trimmings from expanded beadboard stock for years; no problems seem to be appearing. This is not a regularly available product though.

http://www.truefoam.com/ Since 1968…