Mold killer

Tea Tree Oil.
According to the owner of a local water proofing company Mold Remediation is a scam in that all you need is simple Tee Tree Oil to kill all mold.
Anyone ever hear of this method.?

http://www.essortment.com/home/moldmildewpr_sbli.htm

http://moldremoval.blogspot.com/2006/07/fighting-mold-without-bleach-tea-tree.html

I have been told by it can be use as a cleaning agent and it is also used in several cleaning products on the market now.

Bob

A 460 WEATHERBY MAGNUM should kill a charging grizzly bear but if you don’t apply it quickly enough or at the right location the results could be less than expected. The same would be true for any fungicide even Tea Tree Oil.

Tea Tree Essential Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
Rashes, insect bites, nail fungus, dermatitis, ringworm, thrush, head lice, sore throats, boils, congestion, arthritis, cold sores, fatigue, useful for a wide spectrum of infections. Anti-infectious, antibiotic, balsamic, antifungal, antiviral, anti-parasitic, anti-inflammatory, expectorant, stimulates immune system, analgesic and antiseptic. Hastens healing of wounds, diaper rash, acne, ringworm and insect bites. Protects skin during radiation treatment. Encourages regeneration of scar tissue and reduces swelling. Acts as an oil-controlling agent. High germicidal value. Has the property to penetrate pus and by mixing with it, the pus liquefies which causes it to slough off, leaving a healthy surface. Asthma, coughs, throat infections, stimulates blood circulation and lymphatic circulation. Scent: Sharp, spicy, warm with medicinal tones, top note.
Source: Branches

Yep, I had several customers go that route. They are still sick in their homes because they do not have the money to remove the mold properly. And do not get me started on how smart water proofing guys are. I just came from a house on a botched water proofing job. Mold everywhere. For some reason he thought he did not have to slope the yard away from the house and discharge gutters away from the foundation. He decided to just install a couple sump pumps and a crawlsapce liner. Too bad the manufacturer of the crawlspace liner does not warranty consistant water under their liner. Oh, also he must have decided dehumidification inside a basement or crawlspace was overrated. :shock:

I am assuming you are well read on the subject when I ask you where should it be targeted ?

James the tone here is very negative but I did not get much information from the response.
Are you saying your suffering customers (not clients) are still suffering because Tea Tree oil does not work or because they applied it wrong?
Can we all agree that mold exists only because of overly Humid conditions?
Assuming we get rid of the humid conditions will Tea Tree oil kill the spores?
If so then is it not the cure?
I know bleach does not penetrate or kill for some reason.
Does Tea Tree oil?
If it is not the cure ,what is ?
Is there a site where I can get better instruction on remediation in detail? or is this something mystical?

Moisture is the culprit. Get rid of that, make sure it doesn’t come back, then you can eliminate the mold with many different methods available depending on the severity of the problem. Here is an upcoming seminar which can get you some learnin’with regards to initial steps dealing with moisture issues. Spend some of that money and learn something tight wad.

Have you taken this Seminar?

I am going to sound negative again or what I call tell the truth on how things really are. The standard that has been proven for the proper removal of mold is ANSI/IICRC S520. This is the only method that has been proven. If tea tree oil does kill mold spores, which has no verified studies to back that up which I know of, then you have the problem of the verified study that even dead mold spores cause cancer. I have ran into former clients who claim the tea tree oil does not work. Removal of the mold properly is the only method proven so far. These tea tree oil claims have been around for the last couple decades but still not proven.

Yes. Get out of that basement and get some learnin son.:stuck_out_tongue:

That is a good price for that course.

I am in the middle of writing a mold remediation protocol for a lady who has been sick in her home many years now. She finally went to the right doctor who determined it was mold causing her to be sick. I have an email from this lady stating she uses tree oil to clean her home. Sad but true.

I agree! strongly recommend that all biological remediation be conducted following guidelines established by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC). Their document entitled IICRC S520 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Mold Remediation outlines work practices and equipment to be utilized during the remediation procedure. Also follow recommendations outlined in the US EPA: Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings, Publication EPA 402-K-01-001. Tea tree oil if it works? possible Biocide? would only be a Sanitization not a Remediation course of action. Sanitization=cleaning surface with no or minimal damage usually with a biocide, Remediation=removal of damaged infected or infested area, both will require a clearance test to confirm that the condition is returned to acceptible levels.

Karl your last sentance contains the term acceptable levels.
What are concidered safe Levels?

My industrial hygienist determines what the safe levels are. There are a lot of variables to consider, not all clearances are the same.

[FONT=&quot]
Sorry for the late reply been busy, always use the term acceptable not the word safe a litigation thing. I work directly with our industrial hygienist as well who determines what the acceptable levels are based on the measured total mold spore (spore trap) sampling methods, the general guidelines in the 1999 publication of the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), Bioaerosols Assessment and Control, Chapter 14.2, and the data base created by Environmental Analysis Associates (The lab we use) (1.) the following criteria for defining “acceptable” or elevated indoor airborne total mold spore concentrations.

In short there was a study done in our region of what would be considered clean and what would be considered mold contaminated buildings at different times and seasons using that as a basis he determines what is considered clean “acceptable” and what is not along with any environmental conditions that need to be factored in. [/FONT]

**[FONT=Calibri]1.**A Regional Comparison of Mold Spore Concentrations Outdoors and Inside “Clean” and “Mold Contaminated” Southern California Buildings. Daniel M. Baxter, Jimmy L. Perkins, Charles R. McGhee, and James M. Seltzer [/FONT]

Killing mold does nothing. Dead mold spores are just as toxic as live mold spores. IICRC S520 and S500 are the documents to guide you. Find the source and cure it and remove the mold, that’s the only cure. Biocides are used when removal is not practical such as a bottom plate of a wall, or a comcrete block wall, then it’s sanded and or cleaned with a biocides and then encapsulated.

Very good discussion.

On the subject of bottom plate. In most cases the drywall and insulation are removed. Not practical to remove bottom plate. Dry out started. What is the recommended encapsulation? Never been involved with the paint that is used. What type paint?

Tea oil. I know a trainer that uses tea oil in a spray bottle form that is sprayed on the gym mats after exercise for supposed disinfectant.

I have found that some times you got to remove the bottom plate to get a good clearance sample. When mold is between the bottom plate and the concrete, this is the only remedy I have found. I believe in the same publication that Karl mentions it says, indoor mold growth is inappropriate and should be removed.
There are several EPA approve antimicrobial sealants on the market, just goggle for them.
Tea oil is a disinfectant, but not to kill mold. IMO, it would be like spraying Lysol on the mold but not removing it.