New Air Handler for the garage--)))

This mornings inspection, somebody cut three roof trusses above the garage to install an Air Handler to condition the garage which also serves as a garage for vehicles of course…:lol:

Supply and Return ducts throughout the ceiling naturally…:lol:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/badstucco1/TomLaven013.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/badstucco1/TomLaven002.jpg

Oh…and the ceiling was quite stained from the missing drip pan and wrong condensate piping also, but we all know what water stains look like…:lol:

In florida it is now against the building code to intall only one part of the system. If you replace the air handler, you must also replace the condenser unit.

Yes, but the less this guy replaces - the better!

William…the system was installed as a package to specifically condition the garage…:lol:

The condenser is just to the right of the exterior entrance door into the garage outside…:smiley:

Hanging from the copper tubing they cut a little short…I’ll post the picture later…:smiley:

When the system is completely isolated from the living quarters, installing an HVAC system to service a garage is perfectly “legal” (from a building-code standpoint) and acceptable.

Sacrificing the structural integrity of the garage, however, is a completely different matter :wink:

Hmmm, wouldn’t the ducts need to be flame resistant Jeff? I do not know the answer,yet.

It was all the same Attic (garage-house-combo) Jeff…:lol:

Not if the system serves only the garage and is completely isolated from the living quarters.

Dale’s system is not isolated. It shares a common attic, so it violates all model codes.

Many custom homes in my area are being built with garage HVAC systems. Apparently, people have nothing better to do with their money. . .

Just as I thought. :smiley:

I have two contractors here, and that appears to be their work how in the hell did they get in AR.

Here in Okla the The duct can share the physically location such as attic but must be separate system can not share supply or return.

William,
Is not a southern thing, or if the unit is over 5, 10, 15 years.
thanks

I am not sure how well you can read it, but attached is the article

HVAC article.jpg

As I read it (the article, not the Code), it is not against codes unless the mechanical contractor can not show compatibility.

If you loose a compressor and want to change out the whole outdoor unit , it is OK if the equipment is compatible.

Changing an old unit with a SEER below current national standards could never be done as the new will never match the old.

Also, equipment Mfg.'s may void warranty if the unit is not matched.

Lets understand the whole thing before we start passing the word that it is “NEVER” allowed.

I have been calling out mismatched equipment for years. I don’t need a code or law to do so.

Also, it should be noted that HI’s do not perform system evaluation IAW our standards of practice. So if this is getting over your head, don’t worry about it. You are not responsible for the condition.