Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Interior Inspections

Notices

Interior Inspections Contains discussions about the interior portion of a home inspection. This includes stairs, walls, floors, ceilings, smoke detectors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12/27/06, 4:19 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Range Clearance

Question, what is the standard clearance for range top to microwave/fan bottom. The owner replaced the exhaust fan with a microwave fan unit and the clearance was such as you had to bend over to see range dials. I told the buyer it’s a good thing your short and don’t use any large pots or fry anything on back burner.

I checked in IRC and online for more info but came up dry. The range documentation was not available to see recommended clearance.
Old 12/27/06, 4:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via MSN to cbellefontaine
Default Re: Range Clearance

The manufacturer has specifications on the height above a range if the microwave is equipped with an exhaust fan. Otherwise, it can be at the same height as the bottom of the upper cabinets. This is typically 54" above the finished floor. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Charles M. Bellefontaine

Bellman Group, Inc.
877-316-0600 Extension #802
Click Here to Join our Email Newsletter

Get Illinois Home Inspector Pre-License Education and
Continuing Education at www.bellmangroup.com

Low cost professional report writing with a contact
management system. www.myreportwriter.com
Old 12/27/06, 4:45 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: apolillo is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I have seen manufacturers with as little as 13" clearance from stove top. That would never work in my house, I need more room for my pots and pans.

Anatol
Old 12/27/06, 5:50 PM
InterNACHI Member

I'm just going from memory here, when I installed mine a few years ago, it (the manufacture) called for 20" from the burners to the bottom of the built-in...............Just went and looked up the stats in the GE manual. The electric range manual states, 30" to unprotected wood...24" if protected with flame retardant millboard and metal covering.

The GE microwave manual states 30" to the bottom of the cupboard that you are attaching the TOP of the microwave to. On my unit that would bring the bottom of the microwave about 14" above the stove....thats low! You would hardly get a canner pot under that! My cupboard is about 34" above the stove top, which puts the bottom of the microwave at about 18" clearance. Maybe you can find out what the exact specs are by searching the web for your specific make/model. GE's is www.GEappliances.ca

Darrell Hadler CMI
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, AB. Canada
NACHI# 04111082 Cell phone# (403)502-3593
Inspected once . . . inspected right!

Last edited by dhadler; 12/27/06 at 9:30 PM..
Old 12/27/06, 6:31 PM
InterNACHI Member

From the 2003 IRC

SECTION M1901
RANGES AND OVENS

M1901.1 Clearances. Freestanding or built-in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) to unprotected combustible material. Reduced clearances are permitted in accordance with the listing and labeling of the range hoods or appliances.

M1901.2 Cooking appliances. Household cooking appliances shall be listed and labeled and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions. The installation shall not interfere with combustion air or accessibility for operation and servicing.

Jason Sieg, CMI
Davison, MI
NACHI05091399

Knowing the current condition,
to make a wise decision.

President, Great Lakes-East Chapter
Join NACHI Great Lakes - East Chapter

http://mi.nachi.org/greatlakes-east/about.html
ssieg@gfn.org

Last edited by jsieg; 12/27/06 at 6:35 PM..
Old 12/27/06, 7:19 PM
InterNACHI Member

Department of Design, Housing and Apparel, University of Minnesota, St. Paul MN 55108-1011

Two studies were conducted to determine recommendations for placement of a microwave cooking appliance in residential kitchens. In the first study, 30 subjects completed tasks using microwave ovens located at heights typically used in kitchens and evaluated the safety and convenience of the tasks on a five-point rating scale. The ratings at the varied microwave oven heights differed signify cantly for both safety and convenience evaluations. In the second study, 24 par participants prepared a dinner meal. Data collected included the number, purpose, and sequence of trips between the work centers during the meal preparation. The utilization of a microwave oven did significantly change work-center relationships. Based on these studies, for safe use, the microwave oven should be located so that the interior food shelf or rack is no higher than the user's shoulder; 58"-60", for most convenient use, the interior shelf or rack should be located from between 2 in. (5 cm) below the elbow to 10 in. (25 cm) above the elbow. The microwave oven center should be placed so that it is close to the mix center. When the microwave oven and range are combined in one center, this center should also be convenient to the sink center.

From this survey, one could say that the stove height is 36"
18" to the bottom of the upper cabinets, and that would place the bottom of the microwave oven at about 24" above the stove. I Would imagine that
58" to the bottom would be adequate.

Hope this helps.

Marcel
Old 12/27/06, 8:53 PM
InterNACHI Member

It also depends on if it gas or electric, if it's a gas range some of the new hot rod high BTU gas ranges have very specific requirements. I would always go with what the range manufacture recommends for clearance for the specific model of range. Also on these hot rod ranges the side clearances to combustibles, cabinets, are also very specific.

Joe Kormos
A-1st Look Home Inspectors Inc.
630-201-0933
Your 1st Choice in Property Inspection Professionals
www.a-1stlookhomeinspectors.com
www.a-1stlook.com
Let us look before you buy...for peace of mind
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, that’s why so few engage in it. ” Henry Ford
Old 12/28/06, 6:00 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolillo
I have seen manufacturers with as little as 13" clearance from stove top.
There was an extensive discussion on the subject over at inspectionnews.com a few years ago. The lowest anyone found at that time was 13" clearance. That's still the lowest that I've found, but why one would want so little cooking space is beyond me. Maybe they eat out all the time.

NACHI 2005 U.S. Member of the Year
Old 12/29/06, 2:28 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: bdoles2 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

What, no pics??
Old 12/31/06, 10:32 PM
InterNACHI Member

Thanks guys, sometimes a simple question can be more involved than you think. I knew that 16" was far too close. This is a very common problem I've seen too many times. The cost to replace a cabinet that is too old to find a match and then move the exhaust pipe and mounting bracket up could be costly. I reccommend re-installing an exhaust fan and use a counter top micro unless they are willing to spend the money, or risk their safety.

David K. Smith

David@HISafetyFirst.com
www.HISafetyFirst.com
Cooper City Fl,
Old 1/1/07, 5:04 PM
InterNACHI Member

Under 11 3/4" and the stainless steel micro handle was over 200°F or 93°C after just a few minutes SS handle absorbs heat quickly, be mindful and careful

badair

ADAIR INSPECTION
972-487-5634

Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Infrared Thermography
TREC # 4563
EDI: EIFS-MA TX # 39

2008 US Member of the Year

life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes, accept the good

Last edited by badair; 9/30/08 at 8:50 AM..
Old 1/2/07, 10:01 AM
InterNACHI Member

Barry, the second picture at 19" would be my preference too.

Marcel
Old 1/5/07, 10:22 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: rrichards2 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Good post Barry.
I am not a big fan of over the stove microwaves. The trade off to save a little counter space is not worth the risk of serious burn injuries.
Old 1/5/07, 10:30 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: jwisecup is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I wish I would have thought about this before I bought the microwave to go over stove 2 months ago. I got it home and realized it would be too low (17 inches)unless I moved all the cabinets up.
So, its sitting in the garage taking up my work space.
Old 1/6/07, 2:36 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisecup
So, [the microwave is] sitting in the garage taking up my work space.
Ah, yes.
The ol' microwave sitting in the garage.
Did you use to live in San Diego?

NACHI 2005 U.S. Member of the Year