Smoke alarm requirements

Is there a code requirement for smoke installations that someone can provide?? House built in 2006 & were installed outside two bedrooms but not inside. I know it’s not right, just need backing up.

Thanks, hope everyone had a great weekend!

I would recommend going to your own local AHJ to find out what is required in your area. You are going to get 50 different answers to this inquiry and some are going to be guesses based on what they have been told or for their jurisdictions. Codes change all the time and from county to county, state to state. Go to the source rather than this board (or any HI board). There is is more BS pumped out here than a Havana radio station.

LOL. Thanks for the helpful insight, Doug.

That being said, I pretty much say, I do not test Smoke Detectors…and then either; there were no smoke detectors in the bedrooms and we recommend installing them…or there were smoke detectors in all of the bedrooms.

Really does not matter what the code says… :smiley:

As well as Carbon Monoxide detectors, and in many cases, one is not enough.

Safety first !!!

Yes to CO detectors, although if there is no Fireplace and it is an All Electric Home I not recommend them myself

Unless there is an attached garage!:stuck_out_tongue:

No not even then

Here in Maine, all Jurisdictions that have adopted the NFPA 101 will need to comply with the requirements below.
Checking code requirements in the Jurisdiction you are in might be prudent.

24.3.4 [size=3]Detection, Alarm and Communications Systems.
Approved single-station smoke alarms shall be installed in accordance with 9.6.2.10 in the following locations:
(1) All sleeping rooms (exceptions: Smoke alarms shall not be required in sleeping rooms in existing one and two-family dwellings.)
(2) Outside of each separate sleeping area, in the immediate vicinity of the sleeping rooms
(3) On each level of the dwelling unit, including basements
(Exception No. 1: Dwelling units protected by an approved smoke detection system in accordance with Section 9.6 and equipped with an approved means of occupant notification.) (Exception No. 2: In existing one and two-family dwellings approved smoke alarms powered by batteries shall be permitted.
9.6.2.10 **Smoke Alarms **
9.6.2.10.1 Where required by another section of this Code, single-station smoke alarms shall be in accordance with the household fire-warning equipment requirements of the NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm Code, and are arranged to function in the same manner.
9.6.2.10.2 Smoke alarms, other than battery –operated devices as permitted by other sections of this Code, or battery-operated devices complying with 9.6.1.4 and the low-power wireless system requirements of NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm code, shall receive their operating power from the building electrical system.
9.6.2.10.3 * In new construction, unless otherwise permitted by another section of this Code, where two or more smoke alarms are required within a living unit, suite of rooms, or similar area, they shall be arranged so that operation of any smoke alarms shall cause the alarm in all smoke alarms within the living unit, suite of rooms, or similar area to sound.
(Exception: this requirement shall not apply to configurations that provide equivalent distribution of the alarm signal.)
[/size]

Joshua - as far back as 2003 - IRC
R313.1 Smoke Alarms. Smoke alarms shall be installed in the the following locations:

1. In each sleeping room.
  2. OUtside each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.
  3. etc, etc, etc,
  1. On the ceiling or wall outside of each separate sleeping area in the vicinity of bedrooms.
    2. In each room used for sleeping purposes.
    3. In each story within a dwelling unit, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics.
    4. The units shall be interconnected such that the activation of one alarm will activate all alarms.
    5. When primary power is interrupted the smoke alarm shall receive power from a battery.
    6. The smoke alarm shall be supplied by a single branch circuit serving one or more of the required lighting outlets and permanently connected ahead of the switching devices.
  2. AFCI protected.

Try the ICC Residential Building Code Book…IRC

Jeff