Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Interior Inspections

Notices

Interior Inspections Contains discussions about the interior portion of a home inspection. This includes stairs, walls, floors, ceilings, smoke detectors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9/9/06, 11:04 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Stairway head room clearance

Inspection today had basement stairs that came to a landing on ground floor, landing has rooms on both sides. Back side room has 12" step to floor off landing. Both sides have 6' of clear headroom to knock your head on when stepping off the landing. Around here, typically 6'8" is minimum. Ceilings are 7'. Do I call out a code or remark "typical" conditions?

Scott Falvey
Clear View Home Inspections, LLC
Newbury, NH
NACHI#05051292
www.clearviewhomeinspectionsllc.com
Old 9/9/06, 11:13 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Stairway head room clearance

Scott;

I do not think that I would call it typical condition, because it is not and believe that noting what you have seen would be in order in your report.
To the affect that it is not the standard of building standards and also it kind of runs away from the code requirements of a riser height of 7 3/4" and 10" tread and the 6' 8" head room requirements.
Note what you see and let the Client decide what they want to do with the issue.

Hope this helps.
Old 9/9/06, 11:15 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Jay Moge is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

You say it's a basement. Is it a finished living space, heated and all that? If it's just a 'crete floor basement, I'd mention the safety hazard and call it done. If it's finished as a bedroom (don't forget heat, egress, and closet) then you'd have to check you local code, but still would just note it. We're not codeies.
Old 9/9/06, 11:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

Basement is in process of being "finished". Seller has framed walls, some drywall up, heat would only come from radiation from mechanical room, no closets, would not consider finished space suitable for bedrooms. Seller is selling house with trim, window trim and "finished" basement unfinished. Oh also, the windows were installed over the outside finish texture sheets and then trimmed over.

Scott Falvey
Newbury, NH
NACHI#05051292
Old 9/9/06, 11:27 PM
InterNACHI Member

I would write it up as less than standard clearance and let the buyer decide.
If they are "little people" or it's former secretary Robert Reich(4-8") they wouldn't care.

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

For more information click Trustyourinspector.ORG

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Old 9/9/06, 11:30 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Jay Moge is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalvey
Basement is in process of being "finished". Seller has framed walls, some drywall up, heat would only come from radiation from mechanical room, no closets, would not consider finished space suitable for bedrooms. Seller is selling house with trim, window trim and "finished" basement unfinished. Oh also, the windows were installed over the outside finish texture sheets and then trimmed over.
Could you see any flashing outside under the trim but over the window fringe?. Either way, the ceiling hight issue is just that. An issue. Can't change it now. Is it right? no. Will it work, yeah if your a short frenchman like me. I can even do jumping jacks in a 6' room. But hay, wasn't David Robinson of the NBA stationed on a sub in the navy?? they have ceilings that are only 5'9" or so.
Old 9/9/06, 11:35 PM
InterNACHI Member

Hi Jay,

No flashing, even if there were, it could only be between the window nailing flange and the trim. The windows are in the middle of a full 4'x8' sheet. They did use caulk, does that count?

Scott Falvey
Newbury, NH
NACHI#05051292
Old 9/9/06, 11:45 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalvey
Hi Jay,

No flashing, even if there were, it could only be between the window nailing flange and the trim. The windows are in the middle of a full 4'x8' sheet. They did use caulk, does that count?
Yeah... calking is like a tail light warentee outside. how hard would have been to do the job right?? not nearly as hard as it's going to be for the next guy to fix in next year. I never seem to have enough time to do a job twice, so i'm forced to do it right the first time. I hate that.
Old 9/10/06, 12:10 AM
InterNACHI Member

What Marcel said works for me.
Old 9/10/06, 7:05 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: rwand1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Before I render an opinion, how old is the house? Does it predate current construction practice/code?
Old 9/10/06, 8:30 AM
InterNACHI Member

House is 3 years old.

Scott Falvey
Newbury, NH
NACHI#05051292
Old 9/10/06, 8:38 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: rwand1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Okay thanks, so you have a situation on your hands that do not meet code requirements. The question then that must be asked; how did this pass given that an occupancy permit was likely granted?
Old 9/10/06, 9:01 AM
InterNACHI Member

Not necessarily Ray, we have many towns in this area that do not have building officials. The structure just goes up and somebody moves in. Kinda nice huh? If the town doesn't have an official, does that mean there wouldn't be any defects?

Scott Falvey
Newbury, NH
NACHI#05051292
Old 9/10/06, 9:16 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwand1
Okay thanks, so you have a situation on your hands that do not meet code requirements. The question then that must be asked; how did this pass given that an occupancy permit was likely granted?
pick one:

1. lack of liabilty for the goverment employee
2. lack of training
3. lack of time
4. human error
5. complacency
6. short inspector
7. left tape measure in truck

They admit around here that they only have time to look for problems that "jump out at them"
Old 9/10/06, 10:34 AM
InterNACHI Member

" The basement has sub-standard aspects that could imply that the work was done without a permit. Some of the conditions observed include low head clearance in the stairway, stair risers that do not conform to modern building practices and no source of heating or cooling in the rooms, I recommend that you check with the county building department to determine if permits were issued, signed off on and a certificate of occupancy was issued." I also recommend that you consult with a licensed contractor with a view of having these conditions corrected because the costs of these corrections could effect your overall evaluation of the property."