super chimney through childs bedroom

Had this super chimney running through a childs bedroom
curious as to how you would have wrote it up.

At the moment there is no woodstove in the living room directly below this bedroom and the current owners bought the home with this.
I recommended WETT inspection on through floor connections and have qualifed professional install wall to protect from possibility of burn injury if chimney is used in future.

4241_bridge 052.JPG

On top of that, it appears the chimney pipe is too close to combustibles. Is it a metalbestos type of chimney pipe?

If it’s not connected to anything, it’s not a chimney. :neutral:

“Our gas bill are outrageous this winter!! Hey, let’s get a woodstove and hook it up to that chimney. It must be in good shape or, I’m sure, our inspector would have said something needed to be done with it.”

“Sounds good. We have plenty of those pine 2 x 4’s to burn up.” :shock: :stuck_out_tongue:

it is a stainless insulated chimney, the through put connections are insulated as well. with out it working I still think there is a possibility of getting a burn from rubbing against it.
and yes thats why i mentioned it just because no stove is hooked to it , it is still a chimney

This is triple wall insulated chimney pipe. At full temperature, yo can put you hand on it for a second…maybe 2. It is basically a zero clearance pipe. (although the rating might actually be 1 inch)

I do not think that this is a good idea, running it through a bedroom closet without an enclosure, 20 minutes and a sheet of osb would fix that.

Thanks guys, this is what i basically said, just didnt feel right having this in the open in a kids bedroom,
Billy

Hey Billy, I was looking for the information on the sign guy who did your van and came across this old post. You are right to be concerned and advise on a WETT inspection. This installation doesn’t meet WETT requirements.

Not only is it not a good idea, it isn’t in compliance with B-365 (installation code in Canada) which states that a chimney that passes through an occupied living space must be enclosed. This enclosure of course must meet the clearance requirements of the chimney used. There are 3 reasons for this: 1. It protects the chimney from mechanical damage which can result in smoke and sparks entering the living space; 2. It protects occupants from burns; and 3. It ensures the 2’ clearance from combustibles is maintained.

As mentioned by another member on another thread awhile back (Chuck Crooker I think), these directives are for the benefit and safety of the occupants and there is no room for variance on the clearance issues. Have it inspected and certified by a WETT certified inspector. ( a little plug b for me :mrgreen:)

Hope this helps!

[quote=mroberson]
This is triple wall insulated chimney pipe. At full temperature, yo can put you hand on it for a second…maybe 2. It is basically a zero clearance pipe. (although the rating might actually be 1 inch)

Mike, I don’t know how you can claim this is a triple wall insulated pipe by looking at a picture? The standard pipe used here is an insulated with a 2" clearance to combustibles. Zero Clearance is a brand name, not an installation guideline. There is no such thing as zero clearance from combustibles (think pyrolysis).

The certified person would also ensure that this steel insulated chimney is currently approved for a wood stove insulation and is not an older Class A that used to be approved for wood heating appliances.

WETT #572
Master System Advisor

From South of the Border -

The Chimney is not connected to anything and is not being used at this time. In my opinion if this was to be connected to a fireplace or other fuel burning fixture (wood, gas, oil, whatever). it would be a safety hazard as installed.

We recommend removing it, OR if it is to be used - having a licensed and competent … (whatever they call them in Canadia) evaluate the chimney installation and repair or modify it as needed ensure safe and proper operation.

PS - We also suggest hiring a home inspector with a Thermal Imaging Camera and doing a Thermal Scan for hot spots or weak areas prior to use (the last comment is to help the IR guys pay for the cost of their new cameras).

William even if there was a woodstove attached to this chiment running full bore, the surface of this chimeny will reach about 120 deg F. and will not burn. You can advise the homeowner to frame it in it they wish allow a minimum of 6 " clearent from the wall stud suirrounding the chimeny.

*Did you ever check the temperature at joints of some brands during a long hot burn? Also, sometimes there is a bit of settling of the insulation at the top of a piece of chimney section which will allow a hot spot to occur.

** The minimum clearance to combustibles required for most insulated metal chimneys in Canada is 2 inches.

I installed a triple-walled stainless chimney just like that - for a vermont casting wood-burning stove. For my brother, Nick. I recall a zero-clearance. Right through his master bedroom. No enclosure. Ah, the days of being a home builder… I don’t miss 'em. :wink: