Wood burning insert with a turbine vent??

This seems like a bad idea to me, what are your thoughts. First time seeing this.

If it is windy would not the turbine potentially cause some draft problems?

202212 101 (Small).JPG

202212 125 (Small).JPG

Me thinks Your gut is right on this one Dave…there is no fixin stupid…I’d recommend removal of turbine vent and installation of a proper chimney cap…

That’s a new one. That’s what I like about this business. You see something different every day. At least the rain can’t get in. Need to call in a professional to correct it.

Defective Installation

• I can not imagine any manufacturer of a stove or appliance approving this installation.

So it is something that some have never seen. That doesn’t make it wrong. Did anyone take time to look it up? It seems they are sold by most chimney supply stores and installers. The application is for areas with wind related downdraft issues. This product will not create a draft, it will only prevent a downdraft. So you could recommend it be removed, but it may fill their home with smoke.

I’ve seen some used but, as I recall, there was a problem with some not spinning due to creosote buildup and that one looks like the rain would run right down the pipe into the stove.

The fireplace is designed to be wood burning.

And now with a stove insert.
soooo…

The fireplace is not being used as designed and initially intended.
Therefore…

Without a Level II Inspection and certification provided for the current installation and application,
the condition would be deemed Defective…

That is nonsensical. Unless you confirm there was no permit pulled (if needed in your jurisdiction), one shouldn’t call it defective. If that were the case, you would be calling the whole home defective unless you do permit research on each home you inspect. So which is it? Do you do a permit search on each home or just call them all defective? Oh that’s right, I forgot you were around when they invented fire…:wink:

I could not find or see a manufacturers identification plate to research. Plus the lady had a fire going.

I have never came across a turbine vent on a fireplace before.

Seems like there are better alternatives.

I think spinning creosote partially blocking the chimney is always lots of fun.:slight_smile:

Doesn’t seem like a very good idea to me. Poor drafting when there’s no breeze would be one reason, plus getting blocked with soot. Great example for strongly recommending a Level 2.

**Turbine Ventilators
**](http://www.volko.com/turbine.htm)**for attic ventilation and chimney draft assist

Alternative to down drafting chimney.

**Link: Chimney Cap Design Web site

Link:vacu-Stak

In Pennsylvania (prior to July 2007), building code rarely existed.
Building Trade Contractors (Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians, etc…) only became licensed 2 years ago.

I do not have to prove that the installation is defective.

The Fireplace has been modified from the initial design use and intent.
The burden is now on the Homeowner to prove compliance with current building code and stove manufacturer’s specifications.

Level 2 Inspection and Certification required prior to closing.

A really bad idea!

Plus: Has the chimney been relined with stainless steel to match the outlet breech of the stove- required here in Canada.

If the chimney is an exterior version, it will be cool/cold and needs a draft assist to burn properly. Relining the chimney will correct the draft problem (if there are no other issues) and the turbine can be removed. It will also be a much safer installation.

I see this adaptation for increased draft on wood burning chimney’s in my area.
The owners explain there is insignificant drafting not understanding that reversed daft my be occurring within the residence.
The chimney is to low, to many turns in the liners, liners to small, and the list goes on to pour circulation in the residence.

They install a turbine seeing it applied to other homes and through street maintenance chat.
It is a safety issue first and foremost in my opinion.
I could be wrong.:roll:
The bushings, now made of nylon these days will melt. The vertical rod that holds the turbine will twist along with the collars, one for the turbine and the other for the turbine housing will also warp and touch each other.
Fiction due to the materials heat creates material torsion that will eventually cease the unit. The rotation of the turbine will stop over tine.
The real cause of the daft being ineffective are listed above.

It is a combination of the lack of proper techniques . The fire box comes with manufactures instructions.
They are normally used before reading to start the first fire.:mrgreen:
Also pour restoration and repairs case drafting issues.
That handy man thingy we all observe while doing home inspections…

As you know the most dangerous times for toxic fumes is as at fire strat-up and cool-down.
There is insufficient heat to create up draft
The fumes will back-draft if conditions are meet.:frowning:

This will not pass a WETT site inspection in Ontario and will create a dangerous roaring fire during windy conditions. It also could be so strong an influence to effect the proper operation of the gas HWT or furnace along with all mentioned by Robert.

MR. Hagarty
When licensing came official in your state, did all the working tradesmen and women get grandfathered in?
How did one provide proof of accreditation or certification of their trade before licensing?

Was or is there a parity committee?