Yacht paint

I need some advice because I am confused. My father-in-law has told me that yacht paint is excellent for painting trim and doors (instead of household oil-based and latex paints). While I have never seen this, he assures me that the paint provides an exceptional finish, is extremely hard wearing and will not yellow. So, at great cost, I have bought some yacht paint to paint my doors and trim.

While researching how NOT to treat carpenter bees (I have a post on this under structural) I read somewhere that homeowners should not use marine paints because they can be toxic and if you guys get wind of this when a homeowner tries to sell the house, you may insist that the paint be removed (no doubt a costly procedure).

Is this correct, and does it apply to all yacht paints?..before I start painting.

Ablative, anti-fouling bottom paints containing copper compounds are toxic to barnacles, small plant life, slime, etc and are applied to the underwater surfaces of boats. That is not likely what you purchased but could be of concern if it were used in your application. You more likely have top-side paint which is simply a high grade paint, perhaps an epoxy blend, that is designed to take the severest weather punishment like you would expect on a salt water coast line. So, no to a ‘bottom paint’, and OK to a ‘top-side’ paint. I would, however, question the cost benefit ratio of using such a paint. Does it really last enough longer to make it worthwhile?? I don’t know and would have to really run the numbers on that before recommending its use.

Michael. Many thanks for your excellent clear answer. Apparently, once this is done it will last and last. In terms of labor (my own) it is probably worth the $60/tin, given I do not really want to do this again. Plus, I am expecting a mirror finish. The finish will be the real test of value.

I have heard it is a joy to paint with.

I used to build tack boxes for the horse crowd and used Marine enamel for the paint. On a couple of occasions I saw these boxes take direct kicks from full size horses. The wood was dented but the paint did not chip or crack. It is a great paint for woodwork in busy traffic areas. I have never seen it carried in the big box stores, just in full paint stores.

Careful, beware of Lead. Worked for County Environmental Health for 5 years. Only house constructed after 1978 that had detectable levels of Lead suspected of poisoning a child was a six year old house in a very well-to-do neighborhood. Dad and grandpa painted child’s room with Marine paint (…sorry, no manufacturers or other specifics that would really make this a good post). Mom really liked the deepness of the blue color. Per protocal and standard operating procedure, ruled everything else out, ran further analyis on paint and child beyond standard X-Ray Flourescence and Hospital Testing. Exposure/risk mitigated and child rebounded.

Resonable to suspect Lead in some Marine Paint, Road Striping, and Bridge Overpass paints. -Bringing home work may save money, but at what risk? *(Not implying anyone here is doing this, just making a general statement after seeing the adults beating themselves up) *

Well, I painted the trim over the weekend. The yacht paint was a joy to use. Very good coverage and a lovely, high gloss finish.

I am not sure if it was worth the cost. One benefit was it only required one coat (with latex paints I normally needed 2-3 coats). The fumes were quite strong, as with an ordinary oil-based gloss, so good ventilation was needed.

I have painted many, many boats with Interlux, Zspar, Petit, Awl-Grip and even some store brands. Topside paints are easy to apply, should be thinned well, or utilize a brushing thinner. If you want a high gloss finish, marine penetrol can be added.

On boats, a well done topside paint will last two to five seasons. Sprayed Awl Grip can last up to ten. On your house???:smiley: :smiley: