2 Questions for The Price of One

Alright got to questions.

#1) Did a reinspection to day where I noted double taps in a panel. There solution, which is pictured, was to remove the double taps, wirenut them together and pig tail them with one single wire back to the breaker. Comments needed…

#2) On an inspection today found a panel (find a lot of them in this particular neighborhood) that had no ground wire from the panel or meter that attached to a ground rod. The realtor made the comment “Was it code at the time it was built?” Anyother time I have called this out they have fixed it without question. When did the NEC require a ground wire and what would be a good replay next time some realtor makes that comment.

Thanks in advance!

look.JPG

look.JPG

#1) Perfectly acceptable, although sloppy.

#2) I have a 1940 NEC that shows a requirement for a grounding electrode.

There’s a fine line between Code and Safety. Safety features (to any home) need immediate attention and do not get grandfathered in because it wasn’t code at the time.

Complete safety (of my clients) override any code in my book.

Let’s say that the GEC just recently got adopted in 2003 due to related deaths. A building that was built in 1998, does not require a GEC?

I’d just recommend the grounding electrode for enhanced safety and let them do what they will. It leaves the code out of it. :wink:

[quote=jpope]
#1) Perfectly acceptable, although sloppy.

I don’t understand this. I was under the impression that if you double tap you are most likely allowing more than 12 devices per circuit. Sooooo, if a double tap is not allowed for this reason, how would pigtailing 2 circuits to the same breaker be “perfectly acceptable”
Larry

Larry,

Maybe it is a canada thing…BUT the NEC does not mandate the number of outlets or luminaries on a given circuit. That MATH is left to the electrical contractor to use CORRECT wisdom…WE hope anyway.

Doing the SPLICE removes the issue of double tapping…and as you mentioned you still have all the items on that circuit on the same OCPD…just not in a double tap situation…

Hope that helps any…

Pigtailing two circuits inside the panel is little different than connecting them in a junction box one foot away (or anywhere really).

Right, but the problem of double tapping is that the lug on the breaker isn’t (usually) designed for accepting two wires, so this solution takes care of the problem. Just think of the enclosure as a junction box.

so basicly the double tap issue isn’t for the number of items possible on a circuit (let’s face it, we all have a power strip with at least 4 things plugged into on outlet, or one of those 6 into 2 boxes) but for the fact that the screw on the breaker isn’t designed for it.

You got it :smiley:

ding, ding, ding. . .

yeeeeeee haaaaaaaa. you can mail me my cash prize.:wink:

1 a solution… No. The service box may not be used as a junction box. Recommend a mini double breaker installed is the proper fix if no room permits an additional breaker…

Do you have a reference to support that statement?

Not in Tn, it is acceptable… And I believe the nec allows it also…

Dude you’re way off base with that statement. Splicing is allowed in panels and limited only by conductor fill area. It’s in the NEC. Also, many panels are not listed to support “mini twins” and the ones that are usually only allow a limited section of them, and are usually so small they are already full up on twins.

Show me where the NEC 2005 allows the service panel to be used for as a junction (not an extention). :cool: Will not allow when we do service changes in central Ohio.

Ohio can do anything they want, as AHJ, but they are not backed by the code. If there is room in the SE enclosure you can use it. It is all based on cross sectional fill. In fact, if that conductor is coming into the enclosure to a new “mini” breaker anyway (as suggested) the splice to put it on an existing breaker doesn’t add anything to the fill. The same is true if you splice to extend a wire that is too short.