2008 National Electrical Code by Joe Tedesco

[size=5]National Electric Code

Hello to all!
I’m happy to say that I just came back from a fantastic highly informative and technically exhaustive two day {16 hour} seminar on the 2008 National Electrical Code.

The presenter was Mr. Joe Tedesco who I must say absolutely impressed me with his technical knowledge, skill and expertise each and every minute of the 16 hours.

As a former code official {now retired} I have attended many technical seminars all across the nation. I have met many, many code officials and have attended some truly top notch technical seminars.
That being said … I will tell you that Joe Tedesco has got to be one of the finest instructors I have ever seen!

His knowledge and grasp of the National Electrical Code was truly amazing.

• I would swear that this man has the entire 2008 National Electrical Code committed to memory!

His ability to quote the chapter, section, and paragraph of the codebook and then recite the text verbatim was absolutely amazing to see. It was truly impressive!
The students in the class were composed of electrical engineers, a facilities manager for a military installation, an electrical systems analyst/designer, and me.

• Joe Tedesco’s ability to explain the national electric code in a simple manner that “anyone” can understand is a gift that few instructors possess.

The first time I met Joe Tedesco {and Nick Gromicko} was in 2003 when he presented an electrical seminar in Swansea Massachusetts. This is only the second time in that five-year period that I have attended one of Mr. Tedesco’s seminars.

• All I can say is that the loss is mine.

Joe Tedesco is an absolute wealth of information and when it comes to electrical issues and most especially the electrical code I would highly, and I repeat highly recommend him as an instructor!
I strongly recommend that if any of you ever gets a chance to attend one of Joe Tedesco’s seminars that you do not hesitate to attend one of his highly informative and technically exhaustive top-notch seminars!
[/size]

Thank you Frank:

We discussed many items and covered lots of ground during those two days and we talked about the inspection process and safety. Thank you for your input and for asking some great questions and sharing some of the experiences you had with the class.

My question:

In the SOP 2.7 , II. The inspector is not required to:
A. Insert any tool, probe or device into the main panelboard, sub-panels, distribution panelboards, or electrical fixtures.

B. Operate electrical systems that are shut down.

C. Remove panelboard cabinet covers or dead front covers if they are not readily accessible.

D. Operate overcurrent protection devices.

E. Operate non-accessible smoke detectors.

F. Measure or determine the amperage or voltage of the main service equipment if not visibly labeled.

G. Inspect the fire or alarm system and components.

H. Inspect the ancillary wiring or remote control devices.

I. Activate any electrical systems or branch circuits which are not energized.

J. Operate or reset overload devices.

K. Inspect low voltage systems, electrical de-icing tapes, swimming pool wiring or any time-controlled devices.

L. Verify the service ground.

M. Inspect private or emergency electrical supply sources, including but not limited to generators, windmills, photovoltaic solar collectors, or battery or electrical storage facility.

N. Inspect spark or lightning arrestors.

O. Conduct voltage drop calculations.

P. Determine the accuracy of labeling.

My bold is asking why these items are not included in the inspection?

Some States (SC for example) do Require some of these be reported on (service ground for instance)…

Others may not…

oh yeah,

And I agree Joe T is the man when it comes to all things electrical… I hope to learn from him directly at some date :shock:

Does this exclude the GES or the connection to the electrodes and proper sizing in accordance with the SEC’s?

Joe T. has my vote on his seminars that I attended once in Portland Maine.

Thank you Joe.

Marcel :slight_smile:

From the SOP’s…

GROUNDING CABLE
A. Identify and report the presence, location and observed condition of grounding conductors.

Is this section in the SC SOP? It is not in the SOP here, that’s what I was discussiog.

2.7. Electrical
I. The inspector shall inspect:
[INDENT]A. The service drop/lateral.
B. The meter socket enclosures.
C. The means for disconnecting the service main.
D. And determine the rating of the service amperage.
E. Panelboards and overcurrent devices (breakers and fuses).
F. The service grounding and bonding.
H. A representative number of switches, receptacles, lighting fixtures, AFCI receptacles.
I. And test all Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) receptacles and GFCI circuit breakers observed and deemed to be GFCI’s during the inspection using a GFCI tester.
J. And report the presence of solid conductor aluminum branch circuit wiring if readily visible.
K. And report on any tested GFCI-tested receptacles in which power was not present, polarity is incorrect, is not secured to the wall, the cover is not in place, the ground fault circuit interrupter devices are not properly installed or do not operate properly, evidence of arcing or excessive heat is present, or where the receptacle is not grounded or is not secured to the wall.
L. The service entrance conductors and the condition of the conductor insulation.
M. And describe the amperage rating of the service.
N. And report the absence of smoke detectors.
O. Service entrance cables and report as in need of repair deficiencies in the integrity of the insulation, drip loop, or separation of conductors at weatherheads and clearances from grade or rooftops.
II. The inspector is not required to:
A. Insert any tool, probe or device into the main panelboard, sub-panels, distribution panelboards, or electrical fixtures.
B. Operate electrical systems that are shut down.
C. Remove panelboard cabinet covers or dead front covers if they are not readily accessible.
D. Operate overcurrent protection devices.
E. Operate non-accessible smoke detectors.
F. Measure or determine the amperage or voltage of the main service equipment if not visibly labeled. G. Inspect the fire or alarm system and components.
H. Inspect the ancillary wiring or remote control devices.
I. Activate any electrical systems or branch circuits which are not energized.
J. Operate or reset overload devices.
K. Inspect low voltage systems, electrical de-icing tapes, swimming pool wiring or any time-controlled devices.
M. Inspect private or emergency electrical supply sources, including but not limited to generators, windmills, photovoltaic solar collectors, or battery or electrical storage facility.
N. Inspect spark or lightning arrestors.
O. Conduct voltage drop calculations.
P. Determine the accuracy of labeling.
[/INDENT]

Yeah, Joe… sorry for the confusion.

That’s the point I was making, many HI’s inspect to the NACHI SOP’s in deference to those required by their own STATE.

I too, think ours (iNACHIs) should be more inclusive.

v/r

-Mike

Michael,
Like I stated earlier in the article that I wrote … As a former Code Official for many, many years I have attended Technical seminars all across our nation and I have met and seen some of our Nations finest and most knowledgeable experts.

• That being said I have never met anyone who apparently had the ENTIRE Text of a Code Book memorized by Chapter, section, and subsections to include the annexes.
    Joe Tedesco’s grasp of the 2008 National Electrical Code is truly amazing and I HIGHLY recommend his course.

Joe,
I want to thank you for taking the time and trouble to come onto the NACHI BB and answering our questions. I know that you travel all across our country presenting seminars to Electrical Engineers, Electrical system designers, Electrical Contractors, and Code Officials and yet you take the time and trouble to answer our questions from your hotel rooms and most of the time it is after a full day teaching and it is late at night.

I for one want to thank you for your generous help and expertise.

It is GREATLY appreciated!:razz: :nachi: :nachi:

Why do you feel that they should be?

I believe that each item that I highlighted can become a possible hazard, and lead to an accident that may be caused by an overcurrent condition, lack of maintenance, and safety items that are directed toward life safety.

G. Inspect the fire or alarm system and components. NEC Article 760, and NFPA 72

H. Inspect the ancillary wiring or remote control devices. Devices are covered in the NEC

K. Inspect low voltage systems NEC Article 725, electrical de-icing tapes NEC Article 426, swimming pool wiring NEC Article 680, or any time-controlled devices NEC Articles 404 and 100.

L. Verify the service ground, NEC Article 250.

M. Inspect private or emergency electrical supply sources NEC Article 700, including but not limited to generators NEC Article 445, windmills Article 705,photovoltaic solar collectors NEC Article 690, or battery or electrical storage facility, NEC Article 480.

N. Inspect spark or lightning arrestors. NEC Article 280

P. Determine the accuracy of labeling, NEC 110.22, 408.4

I am prepared to discuss these items during any Chapter meeting and can show where there were accidents, or fires where the systems malfunctioned, or were not properly installed and inspected.

No doubt that these are possible electrical issues of interest to an electrical code inspector, but we have deleted them from the standard home inspection for liability reasons.

Inspectors are always free to add additional services (and charge additional fees) for what they are comfortable doing outside of the SOP…but many E&O policies are contingent upon the inspector’s compliance, so it will be prudent for them to consider that before arbitrarily adding services not normally performed.

Joe,

Home inspection SOP’s are designed to achieve the most bang for the buck, and to make it known which items just can’t really be done completely.

If we get too technical and/or add on items, the price rises greatly and the safety level decreases for the public. Decreases? Yes, it would go down overall due to the higher inspection prices causing less buyers to get inspections.

For example, please list the equipment needed and time to get it out of the truck, setup and measure the resistance of the service ground, note the findings and put the equipment back in the truck.

Also, list the time it would take to truly and exactly verify all circuits are labeled correctly on a 2500 Sf 2 story home with a 2-car garage. Don’t forget your time involved in moving furniture and waiting on the seller to move the kids, dogs and plates of food.

I understand, and was not thinking about having the resistance test become part of the SOP.

What does:

"L. Verify the service ground" mean, does it mean to be sure that the ground is present, or just to see that the GEC is properly secured to the electrode with the proper fitting, and that the rod is not subject to damage or where it could become a tripping hazard, and not subject to damage.

Panel directories, if scribbled or blank, are one of the worst problems everywhere, even in new buildings and when equipment is changed.

I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope that the hidden hazards, don’t come back to haunt the occupants, or lead to an accident or fire.

BUMP!