220 used as a 110

2008 build

Home has a built in gas stove.

Panel label breaker 16 & 18 states double oven.

220 only connected at one breaker, stove electric using 110. (red not connected in panel)

I feel this is a safety issues due to label at legend. What do you think??

267114 032 (Small).JPG

267114 074 (Small).JPG

267114 076 (Small).JPG

Confused .
Is the other uncapped wire connected to the double breaker or a single pole breaker which would be fine ?

Do not see the actual oven conductor other than the capped and unused.

Why is is a safety issue?

It’s not a 2 pole breaker.

fixing the legend only requires a marker.

Yes, but not my job to black out legend, my thoughts on safety is turning off the breaker that is not used thinking electrical portions of stove is off.

I will just make a note about the unreliable legend.

I think you could probably note that for every house, no?

I rarely see them labeled/labeled properly.

Most have no markings at labels, yes!! Or they say Joshuas bedroom:shock:

I know I’m nitpicking, but they call it 240 and 120 volts respectively these days…

As far as the issue at hand goes, I would just make a note that the service panel legend needs to be verified, and any unused breakers should be marked as such.

Just a guess, but maybe it was done like that in case someone wants to install an electric oven later? Maybe an electric oven was there before, or maybe an electric oven was the original plan?

Idk…just guessing

Since the seller was there I tripped the breaker and it shut down the electrical system controls for the gas oven. Who knows what lurks behind the built in appliance.

Mike Holmes and Billy would tear it out, curse the inspector, beat his chest and yell, I am the greatest inspector in the world!!

Home has a built in gas stove.

Panel label breaker 16 & 18 states double oven.

220 only connected at one breaker, stove electric using 110. (red not connected in panel)

I feel this is a safety issues due to label at legend. What do you think??
[/QUOTE]

I don’t see what you may see. Are you guys referring to what appears to be 15 amp single pole breakers?

I don’t see what you may see. Are you guys referring to what appears to be 15 amp single pole breakers?

That’s all I see.

Here is a larger picture of the panel.

267114 073 (Small).JPG

Believe it or not, there are standards here in the US.
In the electrical power industry (read Power Company), the standard voltage for almost all single phase services is 120/240. The reason that you will most likely measure something slightly different at an outlet in your home is because of economic reasons. There must be an allowable tolerance in the voltage at which you are served. It is not impossible to keep things at 120 plus or minus 1 volt, but it would be very, very expensive to do so and of course as you know, it is not necessary either. Almost all equipment that you have in your home or business is designed to operate with a voltage that fluctuates plus or minus 5% from “center of band” or 120 Volts. That same plus or minus 5% holds true for services at other voltages as well. If you are a large industrial customer who requires 480 volt service for your large motors and equipment, that equipment is designed with that tolerance in mind. Right now in the USA, there are almost 500,000 people working hard to make sure that the voltage where your toaster is plugged in is as close to 120 as we can get it. (within those economic constraints of course)
People monitor those voltages 24/7/365 along with alot of other things.
We absolutely do NOT want you to wake up some morning and have to do without your toast, coffee, and whatever. ('Cause you’re pretty grouchy without that coffee…)

Electrical Safety is no accident. Learn Not to Burn.

Given the legend in the panel, the original range was electric using a 4 or 3 wire receptacle (depending on age of home). After the kitchen remodel, they opted for a gas range which now uses a standard 15 amp receptacle. Instead of pulling new conductors for the newly changed receptacle, they used the existing ones and pigtailed smaller conductors to terminate onto the 15 amp receptacle. Original 2-pole breaker was taken out and replaced with two single 15 amp breakers. One of those breakers is now being used for the new gas range.

Not a huge issue about the unused breaker in the ‘on’ position. Just recommend an update of the panel legend via sharpie.

110/220 vs 120/240. Tomato/Tomahto Potato/Vodka. Intermingled. Majority of appliances are made to operate on a 10% voltage stray and a 5% frequency stray.

Jeff

What size conductor is that? I think that those CB’s max out at #8 AWG.

I agree you should be using 120/240, the nominal voltage used by the NEC. I cringe when I hear someone say 110/208. :twisted:

Jeff W explained it well. The label could have been changed, but if someone did turn off both breakers with the current labeling the power would be off.

Especially on residential! :slight_smile:

Start cringing as that is what I have always called it. Except it’s 110 and 220.

I doubt calling it 120 is any more accurate as nothing hits the exact sweet spot unless you put a capacitor on it.

220, 221 whatever it takes :wink: