AL in Square D board

Square D panel. One double tap.
Its AL BRANCH CUIIRCUTRY.

I see no issues except for one double tip I have to verify by the tag and lug.

NOTE: The owner said the update was 2006 and he can verify this.

First one out of hundreds of panels.
Need help.
MA MA!:shock:

What is your question ?
Does is show CU AL ?

I have never read were AL is banned.
Question; Is it and can I see some verification.

The rest I have looked into.
Thanks Roy and sorry. I thought the post, AL, was self explanatory but I was mistaken.

There is a wealth of info on AL on this board. Use the search tool.

Here’s what I say: “The system includes solid-core aluminum wire that has long been suspect, and with good reason. Aluminum wire does not conduct current as efficiently as copper wire, and because it oxidizes it can act as an insulator instead of a conductor, building up resistance to conduction and heat in the process. Also, as a poor conductor, it has a tendency to expand and contract more, and thereby become loose at any one of the multiple connections such as switches, outlets, and elsewhere. This type of system can positively be a fire-hazard and is no longer allowed in new construction. Therefore, you should seek the counsel of a competent and licensed electrician who is familiar with this issue, and with the recommended procedures to correct the known deficiencies, such as Copalum crimping.”

Tell them not to plug anything in except a smoke alarm.

Tell them it’s all completely and perfectly safe as long as they never use it! :|.)

That’s funny…:smiley:

Dom.

Joe as always thank you.
I keep forgetting the resources InterNACHI MB attains.
A lesson remembered.

I explained about the Copalum crimping and all the short commons AL has to offer through conductivity and expansion contraction to the purchasers. I also mentioned reviews if purchased/reviewed by a licensed RBQ electrician.
RBQ being our AH to much J they do not share openly.:frowning: F u c ing placed bureaucracy heads, I hope will die when/if a new provincial party is elected.
Seems like this one loves hate and power.

NOTE: They will be scrutinized for corruption after the election. That is why it was called now.
Too bad
So bloody sad.
We had the envy of the world once.

I long for the days I had my collective resources. Alas all gone and corrupted by a well delivered and planted virus I suspect came from a message board on looker several years back.
Microsoft recommended I toss the works and 6 hours in my PC on 2 occations.

That being said.
Thank to everyone on the thread.

No not true.
I will not scare but educate and let them make a sound decision Mike.
Copalum crimping is the best alternative to rewiring the home.

The Square D breakers are listed for use with AL and also two conductors in the 15 and 20 amp sizes.

And the switches, outlets, fixtures?

The OP seemed to be concerned about the taps and the breakers. That is what I addressed.

Yes the Schnider Electric breakers and panel are rated for AL.
I paid attention to this and gauged the wiring as best as I could with a digital meter thickness gauge. The nonconductive coating being the barrier to a true measurement.
Yes the switches and outlets and any boxed connections.
The canary in the coal mine is what I am after.
NEC link to new installations. This as an existing installation.
I would not be concerned BUT would insure all connections are torqued and not stabbed on a scheduled basses.

Robert no matter what you find in the NEC it is none applicable to Canada or Quebec
Make sure to also state that when they renovate they will have to change the ALU wiring it is code

Square D breakers are designed to take 1 aluminum conductor. If copper the 15, 20, and some 30 amp versions can take 2 wires as long as seated one each side of the clamp as pictured on the breaker. The goop (noalox or the like) shows a quality termination of aluminum wire.

Pic if it helps:

Explore mbrooke22

The marking on the breaker would indicate “approval for double tapping” but the required assembly is “conductors on opposite side of the lug” or it is so deemed by the manufacturer Schneider electric.

Micheal, I will make 2 points here.
1: The first point of service was updated in 2006.
2: What if the dead front was not removed?

Thanks; knowing to use the CEC as reference is helpful.
Marcel Gratton has mentioned that on several occasions.
I always looked to the RBQ for reference!

Sorry to go off thread everyone.
NOTE: I use to comb through the RBQ website as Quebec’s point of reference for code compliance.
They like Morgan and Bartholomew, the keepers of the brotheren codex, where the place to go to unlock Quebec compliance secrets for all residential, industrial and commercial code.
They referred to the UBC, Universal Building Code, CSA, NEC, ASTM, and all relevant compliance.
They did have short comings, Roofing, Masonry and other exterior envelope building practices.
Having the presently seated government the past 18 months I did not do much research under the RBQ for my clients and our association members seeing only mysteries lay ahead.

Hopefully come Monday evening the only one hiding her secret religious vale will be fired, the party dismantled and the most confrontational of all PQ leaders looking for another job in the private sector:-)

Again, money and ethnics the cry as in 1995. The ignition source to spark riots in the street which never happened, the divisive Charter of Values.
40 years is enough. The parties now transparent, all questions finally uncovered and revealed.

Personally I can not see living and growing this unique province and Canada without either myself. They are both welcome in my nation:)

Hopefully a chapter, be it Quebec InterNACHI or MIQPC, well solidify like-minded thinkers to work for the goals WE deserve as the largest, must educated and recognized home inspection association in North america and the world for that matter.

Sorry to go off thread somewhat, but I think what I mentioned is/was relevant to what we require as Quebec’s Provencal InterNACHI home inspectors.

The breakers and panel are likely designed for AL.

What about receptacles, light fixtures, hard wired stuff like disposals, etc.

I don’t try and “scare” anyone. But if they are well informed, i.e. “educated”, then the entire scenario must be explained, IMO.

AL wiring does not need to be replaced. There are perfectly acceptable upgrades available that can be made to reduce or eliminate the potential for poor connections at the outlets.

We always used the anti-oxidant compound. The problem is a lot of contractors skip the step of “roughing up” the AL wire before applying the compound. I was always taught to sand the smooth surface, like when making a solder connection in plumbing, before applying the compound. Most of the time the AL wire that I fooled with around here had been Harry Homeownered, and there were poor connections everywhere.

I also ran into some that was impregnated with the compound, but never really researched it much. I applied the compound anyway.