Aluminum wiring

Observed single strand aluminum wiring in a service panel on a 30 amp breaker. Appeared to be a #8 (see photo). This was only aluminum wiring on the panel. Home was built in 1980. I write up single strand aluminum wiring on 15 and 20 amp breakers, but don’t recall seeing it on a 30 amp breaker. Should this be written up?

OK ! And?

Yes. All single strand AL should at least be noted in the report, along with your recommendation for action if any. The “single strand” is the key concern.

Non issue

In Illinois the Sop requires reporting of all aluminum branch circuit wiring.

Elaborate perty please :slight_smile:

What issue would you report?

To be honest no requirement/evidence exists that it is safe/unsafe. Id lean toward safe considering its only held in place by screw terminals in 2 spots (breaker and then the plug). What does this feed?

Of note, if this is going to a water heater or A/C unit, the terminals may not be rated for aluminum.

Did you look at my link?

I would be interested to see your reasoning on this as well.

I would be interested in what you would be writing on #8 aluminum wiring installed in a house in 1980.

Included in the link is this information, from our SOP:

3.7. Electrical

III. The inspector shall report as in need of correction:

C. the presence of solid conductor aluminum branch-circuit wiring, if readily visible;

Give an example of the correction that would be needed for the wire posted by the OP.

Regardless the size of the wire where single strand is connected one needs to check for proper connections in my opinion because aluminum corrodes when in contact with copper, so connections loosen, which can lead to arcing and fires. Now if you know something different let me know so I know lol. Are you referring to AA-8000 series AL wire? If so how would you know?

AL connections.JPG

AL connections.JPG

Just pointing it out…

As for me:

From the Code of Ethics:
1.Duty to the Public
1.The InterNACHI member shall abide by the Code of Ethics and substantially follow the InterNACHI Standards of Practice.

Just pointing it out…

As for me:

From the Code of Ethics:
1.Duty to the Public
1.The InterNACHI member shall abide by the Code of Ethics and substantially follow the InterNACHI Standards of Practice.

For State of Washington:

Report, if present, solid conductor aluminum branch circuits. Include a statement in the report that solid conductor aluminum wiring may be hazardous and a licensed electrician should inspect the system to ensure it’s safe.

From Illinois SOP.

1. Report on the presence of solid conductor aluminum branch circuit wiring and on the absence of carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.

Ill admit it’s not very specific, like most of our SOP, but it does say to report on its presence.

Stephen, can you tell me where this requirement is for Washington State? Thanks in advance. I actually need it for a reason outside of this discussion.