Anybody ever see this??

Ran across this today. Anyone ever see this? and if so what is it?

Looks like a diode resister??? Have no idea the application… Maybe its a test? Lol

Varactors can be used as capacitors but i have never seen on at the breaker.? This will be an interesting lesson.

Heres the rub. Their are two of them installed. No idea what its doing there. Looks like something off a circuit board

Never saw it before neither. Was there solar power anywhere on the residence?

Seen this posted before .
Guessing it acts as a delay on tripping .
Like for surges.

Upside down but …

HACR type – This marking indicates
the circuit breaker is suitable for use
with the group motor installations typically found in heating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment. The
NEC 2005 no longer has this marking
requirement. The electrical industry
determined that circuit breakers are
considered suitable for use with such
equipment without any further testing, therefore, the HACR marking is
no longer required on air conditioning
and refrigeration equipment or on circuit breakers for use in these applications. The requirement for this marking has also been removed from the
UL 1995 product standard for HVAC
equipment (see item 3 in photo 1)

No on solar but Bob your saying its a delay device. How would you write this up?

I am guessing and have seen this posted before in the past somewhere.
Makes sense though as a capacitor stores energy and a motor produces a surge.
Just being cleaver here.

Can not find a answer in the web .
When in doubt defer but I am sure a sparky will step in at some point.

Complicated because they do not have tie bars and one at the end is not connected to a conductor which I just noticed .

You have other issues including no wire cap under that tape and a neutral wire that is open ended at the left side

OK actually looks like the white wire is being used as a tie wrap and this why I stay off the electrical section.
Hard to judge from a picture for me.

EMF protection?

http://www.energpolarit.com/details.aspx?pid=619

That is a MOV. It is used to suppress surges or overvoltages that occur across the line. It is a very common component in many electronic applications that require protection from overvoltage. They are typically installed in the input power section either line to line or line to neutral.

However, they should not be installed in this manner.

Yes, MOV Metal Oxide Varistor used to suppress voltage surges and protect equipment. Sure it was not meant to be installed like this! These are components often found in surge suppressor plug strips. It’s a double tap.

If the home had x10 home automation devices it could also be a signal bridging capacitor so communication signals can bridge between line A and line B.

The value markings on the cap will tell all.

Thanks guys… I figured the “power of the board” would figure it out. The new year is young but this tops my weird o meter for stuff found in a service panel.

It’s a 100nF capacitor. As pointed out, used to bridge phases for X10 or similar power-line control.
/mike