Boat Lift Control Box Fried - Any theories?

A control box for a boat lift in new jersey on the bay (saltwater atmosphere) was found at the beginning of the season with just about every wire and terminal fried (black) including some low voltage wires. The box is only 1 1/2 years old, worked at the end of last season, and the Ground fault circuit breaker was in the off position all winter long and the disconnect was also off, so there was absolutely no power to this box all winter long. We turned on the breaker, attempted to operate the lift and it did not work. We removed the panel and this is what we found. No one can tell me what happened. I should mention the wires going out to the motors and the incoming power supply wires are bright shiny copper with no damage. We replaced all of the fried wires and the manual override functions now work, however, the normal controls and remote do not. We suspect a fried computer board as well. I am not an electrician, but a licensed electrician did all of the original wiring as well as replaced the bad wires recently. The manufacturer of the box will not even consider replacing it without me sending it back for them to analyze and if they determine the box is not faulty, they will not replace it. In the meantime, I would be without a boat lift. Furthermore, they suggest that whatever happened could happen again. I have heard theories from lightning to chemical exposure. This is a watertight box that has not been exposed to any chemicals. Any ideas as to what went wrong?

did u post a pic? Not here.

cannot attach image for some reason, can email to you

Call the electrician who did the wiring to check it out and get you some answers.

Nobody here can state what the issue is without being there. One can only assume and with electricity that is not a wise course of action.

You must look at this as a puzzle in order.

Power to the beginning of the new wiring.
Power at the end of the new wiring.
Power into the control board.
Power out of the control board.
Power from the power board to the motor.

As stated prior: contact the “licensed electrician” that did the work.

Mrs. Post,

Images are hard enough to try to determine anything let alone verbal descriptions. We could promote theories of what I like to call sodium oxidation which leads to a short ( my theory only…lol…not a scientific one ) at the terminations and so on. However, that would simply be a guess…heck someone could have been using your lift when you are not around as well which is always a possibility. Too many variables involved to make an education analysis ( much less guess ) without touching it and examining it.

Wish I could be more helpful…my suggestion is to have the manufacturer look at after the licensed electrical contractor exams it to get the final verdict.