Bond at Distribution Panel

Hey Guys-

This home had a service disconnect on the exterior with correct bonding of the ground and neutral. However, the interior distribution panel was also bonded. Usually it seems there is a way to remove the bonding strap to separate them but this one looked to be permanently connected. Either way its incorrect right? Is this panel made to be a service panel only and not a distribution panel or am I missing how the two can be separated? Thanks.

Kenny

There should have been an auxillary ground bar kit installed and all the grounding conductors moved over to it.

The green bond screw has not been installed on this panel.

Which means that the sub panel is NOT bonded. The neutrals and egc’s are bonded (which is improper in this case), but the panel is not.

At all panels, the egc’s should be bonded to the enclosure. At sub (distribution) panels, the neutrals should be isolated from the enclosure.

I think I see a double-tapped neutral on the right bus.

Someone didn’t have much of a clue when they put the neutral and feeder EGC in parallel. The panel would be grounded if the feeder is contained in a metallic raceway. There is no bonding locknut or bonding bushing on the nipple that contains the service entrance condcutors (although it could be in the meter). There is no visible GEC connection.

Thanks guys. I didn’t consider an auxiliary ground bar kit or the difference between the bonding of the egc’s/neutrals and the actual bonding of the panel.

I assumed that based on your post.

All metal boxes within the electrical system (panel boxes, j-boxes, switch boxes, etc.) should be “grounded,” i.e. bonded to the grounding electrode system. This is generally accomplished through bonding of the egc’s to the boxes.

The neutrals (grounded conductors) should only be bonded to the GES at the service equipment. Connecting/bonding the neutrals to the egc’s anywhere else in the system can create a parallel path for current to “travel” on exposed metallic components within the system.