Can anyone tell me when

they started using three wire Romex (grounded) in res construction?

I think I know this but I’m having a senior’s moment :frowning:
Cheers

Hi Doug I belive type NM (thermoplastic) “romex” started in the early 1960’s

Regards

Gerry

Hi. Gerry

I found this in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring#Early_wiring_methods

About 1950, PVC insulation and jackets were introduced, especially for residential wiring. About the same time, single conductors with a thinner PVC insulation and a thin nylon jacket became common.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Hi Marcel, thanks for that, I knew the “romex” brand started in the 1920’s with the rubber and cloth braided stuff, but I didn’t know that the thermoplastics started that early, I have never seen in in an unimprooved home built before the early 60’s.

I see it mostly from when outlet grounds were required which I think was 1963.

Here’s a link to the history of Romex

Regards

Gerry

Thanks for the Link Gerry.

1922 whow! You must remember that don’t you. ha. ha. :mrgreen: :slight_smile: :wink:

Marcel :slight_smile:

Thanks Gerry… sooooo grounded outlets were first required in 1963?

Cheers

That requirement came in in the 1962 NEC, so was locally adopted in 1963/4 in most cases.

There is a nice history of residential wiring here

Regards

Gerry

Excellent info thanks Gerry

Cheers

You’re welcome, just remember what I have quoted is from the U.S. Canadian code may be a bit different.

Regards

Gerry

That’s good reading! Thanks Gerry. :smiley:

I don’t know about the ground wire itself, but the “reduced ground” went away in 1969. I know I’ve worked on wiring from the late 50’s that had a ground wire in it, but installers often had no idea what to do with it. Regrettably, it was often just cut off flush with the jacket.

Hey, I thought you were Brit. all this time. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: :mrgreen:

We lived in a house built in 1952-53 PG county, right over the DC line. It had the reduced size ground wire in an asphalt/paper jacket Romex and SqD breaker panel.
My father said it had to do with “GI” inspection. I assume from what I have heard fom around the country, this may have only been enforced near DC.
I know when I bought my first house in 71, the builder said it wouldn’t go “GI” (aluminum wire) but by then you could get cheaper financing from a regular bank.

I have to admit to having written up a couple of reduced grounds years ago before I new that they had previously been allowed :oops:

I had forgotten all about them again until just now. :wha?:

Regards

Gerry

Hey Mark and Gerry, that is exactly the wiring in my own house.

The old 14/2 with ground conductor 16 gauge and all cut off at the jacket.
Some I was able to fix with the slack and some are not.

House was built in 1967. And the wiring romex is still the cloth fabric type. I forget the word for it already.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Thanks for all the help guys

I have never noticed or reported on the reduced ground wire size just that the system was an older two wire system with ungrounded 3 prong outlets.

I always caution the client regarding sensitive electronic equipment needing a grounded outlet.

BTW I have heard someone recommend a surge protector for the computer or big screen TV. Will that protect them if plugged into an ungrounded outlet?

Cheers