Can light in contact with insulation.

I can find no labling on this can light, is there another way to tell if it is rated for insulation contact?

attic 6.jpg

That looks like a Halo H7. The silver ones are ICT rated.
The label would be inside the can, behind the trim.

Thanks speedy, that sounds good enough for me since we are not allowed the disassemble. Looking at the top it appeared double insulated. Wanted a second opinion.

Again I love this MB, that was 7 mins. for a trusted responce. :slight_smile:

Karl:

The IC approved units that I have seen are not double insulated.

The test for IC units is to find the maximum temp achieved when the unit has the approved lamp/s installed with the insulation aorund it. If the temp does not go above a predetermined value, the fixture is approved. If it does and they want to get it approved, a clix-on-off temperature sensing switch must be installed to prevent overheating.

Pretty much every recessed can light I have seen or installed in the last 20 years has had a thermal overload, IC or not.

If I remember right, when thermal overloads first came out they were required only in ceilings with insulation, and maintaining a 3" clearance of insulation around the can. (very energy inefficient) Many contractors built drywall boxes around can lights instead of buying the new type of can. then it was blown over with insulation.
Now I think most direct contact cans are either double wall or single solid wall (no air penetration points) DC rated cans will have a smaller maximum lamp size to help limit heat.

The drywall boxes or the newer prefab enclosures are more for draft stopping than for keeping the can away from insulation these days. Most energy codes require these holes to be sealed.

what does it mean when the label on the can light says: “warning, risk of fire, do not install insulation within 3” of any part of this luminaire". then the botton half of the label says: “remove this label if installed in an IC application” as I found on the cans at todays inspection that were under 16" of insulation. seems like it contradicts itself. I guess what I’m asking is, what is an IC application I understand the warning part.

Just what it sounds like. An installation where the can is in contact with insulation.
Lightolier cans are rated this way. The trim and type of installation determine the wattage rating of the can.

That looks like a Progress P87 housing. It is dual rated, either IC or Non-IC.

There are different trims and bulb sizes allowed if used in a non-ic setting.

For example the Progress P8066 trim can be used with a 150w PAR 38, 120w BR40 or a 40w A19 bulb in a non-ic can. In a IC fixture it can only use 75w PAR 30 or a 65w BR30.

Thanks, you guys have shed some light on a gray area for me.