Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Electrical Inspections

Notices

Electrical Inspections Contains discussions about electrical systems. This includes receptacles, panels, wiring, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1/14/08, 10:15 PM
InterNACHI Staff

Default Clearance in front of electrical panel

Does anyone have a good diagram or picture of the recommended/required clearance in front of a residential electrical panel?

BEN GROMICKO
Director of Education
Home Inspection Business Course http://www.nachi.org/become-home-ins...course-101.htm

Old 1/14/08, 10:28 PM
Unmoderated Guest

Please Note: Mike Whitt is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Clearance in front of electrical panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgromicko
Does anyone have a good diagram or picture of the recommended/required clearance in front of a residential electrical panel?
36 inches in front of the panel enclosure mesuring from the enclosure door.

from side to side needs to be 30 inches with the hinged door swing to no less than 90 degrees

Hope this helps

Last edited by Mike Whitt; 1/14/08 at 10:32 PM..
Old 1/14/08, 10:43 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: wsiegel is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Also try this one
Attached Thumbnails
clearance-front-electrical-panel-electrical-228-.jpg.JPG
Views:	23233
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	17514  
Old 1/14/08, 10:50 PM
InterNACHI Member

...and this one:
clearance-front-electrical-panel-panel-clearances.jpg
Old 1/14/08, 11:11 PM
Unmoderated Guest

Please Note: Speedy Petey is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Michael, do you know where that graphic came from? The side to side clearance is not nearly correct. Should be 30" wide (minimum) total.

I use the lower one Mike W posted. It shows all aspects clearly. I'm pretty sure it's a Mike Holt graphic.
Old 1/14/08, 11:19 PM
InterNACHI Member

Did an inspection today. 600 Amps to this gigantic home.

Main panels did not meet the minimum clearances between.

One of the sub-panels had a 3-wire feed, with no metallic conduit between main and sub, and no 4th conductor. 120 and 240 volt circuits abound. Where's the ground. Neutral bar was isolated, BTW, so we've got THAT going for us

Inspection sticker proudly displayed.

What am I missing here?

Transformer on site. Water all around it. Conduit from transformer to inside of basement has water POURING from it, into 3'x3' distribution cabinet. BIG cables, and large metallic conductor bars. Meter is connected in parallel, and conduited outside.

Really dangerous situation with the water. Weep holes drilled in bottom of this cabinet for "drainage" Unfortunately, it drains directly onto two side-by-side disconnects to two more sub-panels elsewhere in the dwelling. Builder had electrical contractor try and fix problems. Dug trench at one side of xformer, no catch basin. No drain pipe. Caulked inside of conduit where it entered dwelling.

As to the pretty pictures, I do like the graphics, but it may only make us look stupid if we call these things out. Builder stated that house passed electrical inspection, and its not his problem.

Last edited by jfarsetta; 1/14/08 at 11:25 PM..
Old 1/14/08, 11:29 PM
Account Suspended Due to Excessive Complaints

Please Note: jtedesco1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromyko
Ben:

Please do not use any of these images, most of which are copyrighted!

Find a refrigerator box, these dimentions are very much the same as for working spaces about electrical equipment.

The width at the working space is required to be at least 30 inches, and does not have to be centered.

In some cases there are rules that will allow less than the required height of 6' - 6"
Old 1/14/08, 11:30 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
Michael, do you know where that graphic came from? The side to side clearance is not nearly correct. Should be 30" wide (minimum) total.
That graphic is from The Illustrated Home by Dearborn Publishing & Carson Dunlop 2003. Doesn't it show 30-36" clearance? I think I know what you are getting at but the other one shows the same thing, right?
Old 1/14/08, 11:38 PM

Please Note: jtedesco1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarsetta
Did an inspection today. 600 Amps to this gigantic home.

Main panels did not meet the minimum clearances between.

One of the sub-panels had a 3-wire feed, with no metallic conduit between main and sub, and no 4th conductor. 120 and 240 volt circuits abound. Where's the ground. Neutral bar was isolated, BTW, so we've got THAT going for us

Inspection sticker proudly displayed.

What am I missing here?

Transformer on site. Water all around it. Conduit from transformer to inside of basement has water POURING from it, into 3'x3' distribution cabinet. BIG cables, and large metallic conductor bars. Meter is connected in parallel, and conduited outside.

Really dangerous situation with the water. Weep holes drilled in bottom of this cabinet for "drainage" Unfortunately, it drains directly onto two side-by-side disconnects to two more sub-panels elsewhere in the dwelling. Builder had electrical contractor try and fix problems. Dug trench at one side of xformer, no catch basin. No drain pipe. Caulked inside of conduit where it entered dwelling.

As to the pretty pictures, I do like the graphics, but it may only make us look stupid if we call these things out. Builder stated that house passed electrical inspection, and its not his problem.
I agree, did you see the empty envelope?
Old 1/14/08, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyett
That graphic is from The Illustrated Home by Dearborn Publishing & Carson Dunlop 2003. Doesn't it show 30-36" clearance? I think I know what you are getting at but the other one shows the same thing, right?
That image comes from the NECH and is the correct interpretation related to width. Note that all equipment doors are to be capable of opening to not less tha 90 degrees.
Old 1/14/08, 11:54 PM
Unmoderated Guest

Please Note: Speedy Petey is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyett
The way I see your's is 30-36" on BOTH sides. It should be 30" minimum side to side total as the other graphic shows. The panel can be anywhere in that 30" space.
Old 1/14/08, 11:56 PM
Unmoderated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtedesco1
Find a refrigerator box, these dimentions are very much the same as for working spaces about electrical equipment.
You guys will just need to make some room in the back of your trucks to carry it around.
Old 1/14/08, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgromicko
Here's an interesting item, move the building in order to provide the necessary working space.

That space there in Boulder near the AC unit is just about right.

Listen to this guy too.
Old 1/15/08, 1:11 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: Greg Fretwell is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Jim Pauley was the first one I heard use the refrigerator box analogy but it does work.