Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Electrical Inspections

Notices

Electrical Inspections Contains discussions about electrical systems. This includes receptacles, panels, wiring, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8/8/07, 10:40 AM
New User

Please Note: gmathias is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Double tap at main lugs

After not seeing this in a long time, I've seen it twice in a week. At my last inspection, the homeowner argued with my position that this was improper. He said his buddy, an electrician, wired the feed for his garage into the main lugs, and it was "OK" because there was a main switch upstream from the distribution panel that I was looking at. I asked to see the switch. It was at the other end of the basement, behind paneling. It was a main on/off switch with a 200amp breaker. I told him I still felt it was improper, and recommended evaluation by a licensed electrician. This type of connection is always improper, correct??
Attached Thumbnails
double-tap-main-lugs-harris-050_editeda.jpg  
Old 8/8/07, 10:54 AM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via Skype™ to pabernathy
Default Re: Double tap at main lugs

Greg,

Firstly, He would have to show me where it states that terminal lug is rated for more than a single conductor.
Second, he would have to convince me that a panel behind a wall is well....accessible.
Third, Not sure how he thinks a 200A breaker ( being used as a switch I guess ) would protect those smaller conductors running through the dwelling in case of an overload....fault or what have you.

Yes, it should have been evaluated as you stated in your report and I am sure the guy has a buddy...who plays as an electrician on weekends only.

P.S.- Lets not forget as well that you are in PA ( no offense to PA Electricians intended ) but they have no state licensing and well...it is done locally and calling someone a electrician is broad....are they licensed in the AREA in which your client is.....questionable at best.

Paul W. Abernathy
Manager, Electrical Codes & Standards
Encore Wire Corporation
* Bring your Wire and Cable Questions...I'll Bring Answers !

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum are of my own personal opinion and in no way represent the opinions of Encore Wire, associations, organizations or affiliations.

Last edited by pabernathy; 8/8/07 at 10:58 AM..
Old 8/8/07, 10:59 AM
New User

Please Note: gmathias is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 8/8/07, 11:15 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabernathy
Third, Not sure how he thinks a 200A breaker ( being used as a switch I guess ) would protect those smaller conductors running through the dwelling in case of an overload....fault or what have you.
If that breaker is the service disconnect ("main"), then there's no protection for those conductors.

They are directly tapped to the service conductors with no OCPD.

IF YOUR INSPECTOR IS NOT USING THERMAL IMAGING, YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE WHOLE PICTURE
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738
Santa Clarita Home Inspection
http://www.MyInspector.net

Old 8/8/07, 7:20 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via Skype™ to pabernathy

Ahhh...I said that Mr. Pope...lol

Quote:
Not sure how he thinks a 200A breaker ( being used as a switch I guess ) would protect those smaller conductors running through the dwelling in case of an overload....fault or what have you

Paul W. Abernathy
Manager, Electrical Codes & Standards
Encore Wire Corporation
* Bring your Wire and Cable Questions...I'll Bring Answers !

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum are of my own personal opinion and in no way represent the opinions of Encore Wire, associations, organizations or affiliations.