Electrical Load Calculation

I can find some info on electrical load calcs online, but I can’t find anything about when they are performed.

Are they performed when no upgrades are made anywhere in the home to determine if the service needs to be updated?

Or

Are they performed when making upgrades to the home to determine if the service needs to be updated and what it needs to be updated to?

I know we’ve been discussing this elsewhere, but here is my “two-cents.”

Load calculations are generally done during the design phase of the construction/renovation/addition(s) of a residence, to determine the necessary service capacity, and the size and quantity of branch circuits that will be necessary.

Ah that is contrary to what I was told in the other thread, but I trust the Pope:mrgreen:

Thanks Jeff!

Since you brought it up, a link should be offered… Inspection Question - General Inspection Discussion - InterNACHI®️ Forum

I don’t care

Wait for some of our resident experts to chime in before you take that to the bank. They will likely have much better information.

That’s the problem. You are closed minded to those you have issue with.

I don’t care about proper message board etiquette such as posting links to other threads. You can continue to pick up my slack though.

Thank you for that.

I found it interesting that Juan had to start another thread just to accept the opinion already offered in the other thread, without waiting for benefit of further input from others.

Will do

Dang. I guess I made another message board mistake. Thanks for keeping me honest Jeff.

There is a good talk about Load Calculations in the book talked about in this thread :slight_smile:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/electrical-inspection-code-check-85217/

Normally, as Jeff has stated, it is done at the design phase before construction is begun. This is typical of both new construction and renovation projects.

Thanks Will.

Sometimes it’s good to start another thread just to get your question separated from all the useless and unrelated-to-the-topic posts.(Like my post in this thread for example) :smiley:

That is what I was thinking. Perhaps we just don’t know how to use the message board properly.

I have a load calculation form in excel, if you wan tit.
Just e mail me@ ev@magnuminspections.com

You do this on a home inspection?

I only did load calculations when in the back up generator industry. Why would a Home Inspector ever need to do a load calculation anyway, except for the obvious.

I inspected a 1500 sq ft home not long ago, where the old fuse box had obviously been replaced by a breaker box. It contained 5 total circuits. No calculation necessary…

That doesn’t sound like a design or rehab/reno event to me. Why the load calc when installing a generator back-up system?