Electrical Mystery

During an inspection I tested a number of plugs and light switches . I checked the panel by removing it and used my GFCI tester. There were open grounds,GFCI switches which never tripped when tested. No record of electrical inspection sticker for any renovations in the past. My client asked why a few lights weren’t working. I tried them, I thought the lights were just buried out. After the inspection call from the homeowner asking why his lights weren’t working only in one particular room. I asked him the check the breakers, may be while I went through the panel I tripped the breaker. According to the homeowner everything was working before the inspection, I called my electrician who has worked for me in the past with renovations, to check the problem. I asked him if there any way I could have damaged electrical by taking the panel off or testing the GFCI’s or plugs within the home. My electrician checked all breakers removed all the plugs and switches everything seemed to be in proper order, but there had to be a break in the line somewhere on the circuit he mentioned. My electrician asked the homeowner if you wanted it fixed. The homeowner replied no. I’m going to take it up with the realtor.
Now I have a homeowner blaming me for wrecking his electrical.
I asked a number of electricians, number of home inspectors, how is it possible to damage an electrical circuit with a GFCI tester or removing the electrical panel?

GFCI failure serving the lights! The one I find failing are the GFCI with the red button.
Here is one from Friday.

74 Thorneloe Cres July 13 2012 035.JPG

From your description you did not cause the problem.

Was the homeowner there for the inspection? If not, how do you know the lights were working before you got there. Just because he says so does not mean that is right. He may have known there was a problem an now is blaming you, wanting a free fix. If your electrician went over there and could not find anything wrong, then you need to tell this guy that either your electrician will find and fix the problem, and if it is determined that you did not cause it(which it sounds like you did not) then he will have to pay for the repair. Or you can have him pay an electrician to fix it and report to you what the problem was, and then you can decide what course of action to take.

It is not possible, except that you may have damaged the GFCI device with your “tester.”

Often there will be a breaker that tripped internally, but is not evident by the handle position.

Either a tripped GFCI wasn’t reset or the lights never worked in the first place. IMO, in the future it would be better to refer to plugs as “receptacles”.

Please Robert, haven’t you learned that we need to dumb it down so everyone can understand what is being discussed? Technical terms only serve to confuse.

Robert and Jim
What in this world are you talking about? Please tone it down to something simple that even I can understand.
Receptacle is something we throw trash in, the trash receptacle, is it not? -X

Plug???

Are you talking about a plug of chewing tobacco?

All these big words, how do you expect me to understand anything posted here? :roll::wha?:

I am going back to my side of the bridge ](*,)

Apparently, according to the experts, you offended the “receptacles” and they are no longer willing to work until you apologize. :wink: :roll:

Would “outlets” be acceptable? Anyone? Anyone?

Simplified? Perhaps. Technically? No.

Receptacle outlet would be most accurate, but I will admit, your average homeowner would not know what this means…

That is why all reports need pictures!

Actually, that was just a joke in reference to the other thread with Jim’s detailed (and helpful!) explaination. :slight_smile:

I’ve always considered a plug the thingy you put in the outl… receptacle. :wink:

Me too, which is also accurate :smiley:

How about a duplex receptacle.

Those only go in Condos. :mrgreen:

rim-shot