Electrical Panel in Bathroom

Inspected a condo today that was built in 1978. The electrical panel was located in the basement bathroom (shower, sink and toilet). I know this cant be acceptable, even for 1978 ? Correct?

Nec 1993.

Download the app. Code History Master. For your phone if you have capability. I refer to it a lot and always on site with me. Its even broken down by years or components.

The basement was probably unfinished in 1978

Acceptable when installed, I would check for any signs of corrosion. If none, than don’t report on it. Maybe recommend lockable cover, to jeep safe from children.

You’d better approach an electrician. It is not something to be guessed of. I think an expert in electrical repair service could explain you clearly. I use to ask these kind of doubts to my electrician. And he uses to give perfect answers also. I always prefer an electrician from ‘The Shock Doctors’ at Orillia. They are very good at their service.

Had an inspection today. The client had an electric solar system installed recently and it’s interesting that the original active panel behind the old medicine cabinet door and located in a functional bathroom above a toilet was still located in the bathroom.

1 Like

Very interesting. I have yet to come across a “medicine” cabinet located above a toilet, but maybe an older build or regional thing. :man_shrugging:

Every once in a while I see a panel like this but this is the first one in a converted cabinet. Unfortunately it’s no the first one I’ve seen over a toilet.

1 Like

Looks to be a 1/4 or 1/2 bath to me.
If only a toilet and sink, it’s a non issue for me.
If no tub and/or shower, what’s the big deal?

No it had a shower behind me. I didn’t have a photo of it with the panel. The home owner was in the bathroom with me so I was a little limited on movement space.

The toilet encroaches on the required panel working space, for that reason alone the panel should be moved to a code compliant location.

1 Like

Probably easier to move the toilet. Plumbers are cheap compared to sparkies! :wink:

1 Like

I always thought that plumber cost more $$$. You would have to make the room not a bathroom which means that you would need to remove the toilet completely from the room.

1 Like

2 Likes

And then there are the framers… :roll_eyes:

ezgif-5-cdde169052

1 Like

1 Like

I was surprised that the panel wasn’t moved when the electric solar system was installed. I did an inspection about a year ago where a roof solar system was installed over a roof that was near the end of its effective life and it was a 35,000 installation job. I felt sorry for the client.